ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] ALT Server 4.0 - Setting up a webserver
@ 2009-02-24  1:31 Virtual Sky Solutions
From: Virtual Sky Solutions @ 2009-02-24  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

I've just done a test install of ALT Linux 4.0 and I have a couple questions.  Hopefully someone in this mailing list can give
me some advice.

I've successfully done a default install and have been learning my way around the HTTP interface.  Now I want to set-up a
webpage server, but I haven't been able to identify where, in the ALT Server HTTP interface, to do this.

So, what I've done is a manual apt-get install of lighttpd and ran it via the command line.  Everything seems to work fine,
however, I would like to know if there was something I could have done via the HTTP interface to do this (even if it were
Apache and not Lighttpd).  Command line is fine, but if there was a more user friendly option I would have used it.

Any recommendations?  Is there somewhere in the HTTP system interface that I missed?

David.

* Re: [Comm-en] ALT Server 4.0 - Setting up a webserver
@ 2009-02-24  2:12 ` Alexey Rusakov
From: Alexey Rusakov @ 2009-02-24  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtualsky.sk, ALT Linux users (in English only)

On 23/02/2009, 19:31 -0600, Virtual Sky Solutions wrote:
> I've just done a test install of ALT Linux 4.0 and I have a couple questions.  Hopefully someone in this mailing list can give
> me some advice.
Could you be more specific - which ALT Linux 4.0 did you install,
Desktop, Server, or OfficeServer?

> I've successfully done a default install and have been learning my way around the HTTP interface.  Now I want to set-up a
> webpage server, but I haven't been able to identify where, in the ALT Server HTTP interface, to do this.
>
> So, what I've done is a manual apt-get install of lighttpd and ran it via the command line.  Everything seems to work fine,
> however, I would like to know if there was something I could have done via the HTTP interface to do this (even if it were
> Apache and not Lighttpd).  Command line is fine, but if there was a more user friendly option I would have used it.
>
> Any recommendations?  Is there somewhere in the HTTP system interface that I missed?
As far as I remember, there was a web-based Apache configuration tool in
the HTTP interface of ALT Linux 4.0 OfficeServer, it is in the package
alterator-apache2. If you can't find it, chances are you'll have to use
branch/4.0 repository as an additional one. If you need more detailed
instructions, just ask.

--
  Alexey "Ktirf" Rusakov
  GNOME Project

[-- Attachment #2: Эта часть сообщения подписана цифровой подписью --]

* Re: [Comm-en] ALT Server 4.0 - Setting up a webserver
@ 2009-02-24  2:26   ` Virtual Sky Solutions
From: Virtual Sky Solutions @ 2009-02-24  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Thanks, Alexey.

The version I installed was ALT Server 4.0.  I have not gotten around to installing OfficeServer yet.  I have only been
working with Desktop (4.1) and Server (4.0) so far.  I want to try the Live version next.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

David.

@ 2009-02-24  9:31 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2009-02-24  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 07:31:56PM -0600, Virtual Sky Solutions wrote:
> Is there somewhere in the HTTP system interface that I missed?

I'm afraid not... I've tried to come up with webapp policy since
ca. 2005 or so but got frustrated with overall quality of webapps
(only a few would fit the scheme which wouldn't do duplicates
which are more of a mess to maintain with security updates),
and so far no one seems to have adapted e.g. Debian's one
(which got another push in the meantime).

There's not much sense in thinking "yeah, you can create a VE
template with e.g. apache, then VE itself, and then start it"
is an answer to the question of "can I bring up a webserver this
way?" IMO.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>

* Re: [Comm-en] ALT Server 4.0 - Setting up a webserver
@ 2009-02-24 11:02     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2009-02-24 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:26:27PM -0600, Virtual Sky Solutions wrote:
> The version I installed was ALT Server 4.0.

In fact, Server 4.0 is decent toolbox (to me) thanks to nicely
integrated OpenVZ -- for webservers too -- but I think it's
better not to treat this particular task as appliance with ALS4.0.

If you're solving (or considering) something, maybe try to
describe that; if it's rather an evaluation, well, I think
that this distro can be successfully used for web hosting
(and I do use it exclusively) but it's "apt-get; vim".

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>