ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Location of ALT Sisyphus GPG keys?
@ 2022-01-03  0:47 David
From: David @ 2022-01-03  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

I've just finished installing the TDE build of ALT (from 2017) and I would like to try to do an apt-get update on the system.  However, when I try to do this, the response is that I do not have the appropriate GPG keys for Sisyphus in my keyring and the update fails.

Can anyone direct me as to where the GPG keys for Sisyphus i586 Classic are located and how I can get them appended to Apt?

David.

* [Comm-en] TDE in Sisyphus (was: Location of ALT Sisyphus GPG keys?)
@ 2022-01-03  8:20 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-03  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en; +Cc: Evgeniy Kukhtinov

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 12:47:49AM +0000, David wrote:
> I've just finished installing the TDE build of ALT (from 2017)
> and I would like to try to do an apt-get update on the system.
> However, when I try to do this, the response is that I do not
> have the appropriate GPG keys for Sisyphus in my keyring and
> the update fails.
>
> Can anyone direct me as to where the GPG keys for Sisyphus i586
> Classic are located and how I can get them appended to Apt?

These are within apt-conf-* package in the corresponding repo,
you can download and install it by hand -- but it's only the top
of the iceberg in this case as TDE won't survive three stages of
library updates it wasn't rebuilt against (it used to more or
less work back in p7, still present but rather broken in p8,
and missing in all of p9, p10 and sisyphus).

There are other folks here interested in getting R14 running on
current ALT, notably Eugene (CCing); not sure how many attention
it can get these days though.

(writing this off 3.5.13.2, heh)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

* Re: [Comm-en] TDE in Sisyphus (was: Location of ALT Sisyphus GPG keys?)
@ 2022-01-03 11:09 ` David
From: David @ 2022-01-03 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

>> On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 12:47:49AM +0000, David wrote:
>>
>> I've just finished installing the TDE build of ALT (from 2017)
>> and I would like to try to do an apt-get update on the system.
>> However, when I try to do this, the response is that I do not
>> have the appropriate GPG keys for Sisyphus in my keyring and
>> the update fails.
>>
>> Can anyone direct me as to where the GPG keys for Sisyphus i586
>> Classic are located and how I can get them appended to Apt?
>
> These are within apt-conf-* package in the corresponding repo,
> you can download and install it by hand -- but it's only the top
> of the iceberg in this case as TDE won't survive three stages of
> library updates it wasn't rebuilt against (it used to more or
> less work back in p7, still present but rather broken in p8,
> and missing in all of p9, p10 and sisyphus).
>
> There are other folks here interested in getting R14 running on
> current ALT, notably Eugene (CCing); not sure how many attention
> it can get these days though.
>
> (writing this off 3.5.13.2, heh)
>
> --
Thank you, Michael, for answering my question.  I was hoping that I would be able to use Synaptic to at least try and install a few more applications from the p7(?) repository... knowing that the TDE build hasn't been updated after that time period.  But, I'm finding that TDE 3.5.13 is a little too unstable for me (lots of SEGFAULTS) that I think I'm just going to move on to p9 or p10 GnuStep/WindowMaker so I can enjoy my time with ALT to the fullest.  :)

David.

* Re: [Comm-en] TDE in Sisyphus
@ 2022-01-04 11:04   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-04 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 11:09:35AM +0000, David wrote:
> > These are within apt-conf-* package in the corresponding repo,
> > you can download and install it by hand -- but it's only the top
> > of the iceberg in this case as TDE won't survive three stages of
> > library updates it wasn't rebuilt against (it used to more or
> > less work back in p7, still present but rather broken in p8,
> > and missing in all of p9, p10 and sisyphus).
> I was hoping that I would be able to use Synaptic to at least
> try and install a few more applications from the p7(?)
> repository... knowing that the TDE build hasn't been updated
> after that time period.  But, I'm finding that TDE 3.5.13 is a
> little too unstable for me (lots of SEGFAULTS) that I think I'm
> just going to move on to p9 or p10 GnuStep/WindowMaker so I can
> enjoy my time with ALT to the fullest.  :)

A _real_ KDE3 was in 4.0 and 4.1, I've installed a host with the
latter couple years ago to have a MiniDV/FireWire camcorder
capable system (kernel upstream broke fw1394 support later on
while chasing storage applications, and kino along with the
libraries involved couldn't keep up back then; so "use the
hardware with corresponding age software" pragma held true);
and you know what... it was a boatload of nostalgia, the world
was quite different back in 2007 (but then again, 15 years on
I'd probably be as nostalgic regarding ALT Education 10 with
KDE5 we finally got finally running on Elbrus 8CB! :).

For the record:
http://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.1/Desktop/current/iso/

--

@ 2022-01-04 15:10   ` David
From: David @ 2022-01-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

January 4, 2022 5:04 AM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike@altlinux.org> wrote:

> A _real_ KDE3 was in 4.0 and 4.1, I've installed a host with the
> latter couple years ago to have a MiniDV/FireWire camcorder
> capable system (kernel upstream broke fw1394 support later on
> while chasing storage applications, and kino along with the
> libraries involved couldn't keep up back then; so "use the
> hardware with corresponding age software" pragma held true);
> and you know what... it was a boatload of nostalgia, the world
> was quite different back in 2007 (but then again, 15 years on
> I'd probably be as nostalgic regarding ALT Education 10 with
> KDE5 we finally got finally running on Elbrus 8CB! :).
>
> For the record:
> http://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.1/Desktop/current/iso

I still have my original CDs of ALT Linux Junior 2.2 and Compact 2.3.  Every so often I will boot them up and go through the software included on the discs.  I find it interesting to see some of the design elements that were truly innovative for back then that many seem to take for granted today.  There are many design elements of ALT that I still find unique and can appreciate today.

I do enjoy travelling back in time to see how far things have developed... and kind of miss those good ol' days in many ways.