ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: "David" <davidb@disroot.org>
To: "ALT Linux users (in English only)" <community-en@lists.altlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] TDE in Sisyphus
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 15:10:33 +0000

January 4, 2022 5:04 AM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike@altlinux.org> wrote:

> A _real_ KDE3 was in 4.0 and 4.1, I've installed a host with the
> latter couple years ago to have a MiniDV/FireWire camcorder
> capable system (kernel upstream broke fw1394 support later on
> while chasing storage applications, and kino along with the
> libraries involved couldn't keep up back then; so "use the
> hardware with corresponding age software" pragma held true);
> and you know what... it was a boatload of nostalgia, the world
> was quite different back in 2007 (but then again, 15 years on
> I'd probably be as nostalgic regarding ALT Education 10 with
> KDE5 we finally got finally running on Elbrus 8CB! :).
>
> For the record:
> http://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.1/Desktop/current/iso

I still have my original CDs of ALT Linux Junior 2.2 and Compact 2.3.  Every so often I will boot them up and go through the software included on the discs.  I find it interesting to see some of the design elements that were truly innovative for back then that many seem to take for granted today.  There are many design elements of ALT that I still find unique and can appreciate today.

I do enjoy travelling back in time to see how far things have developed... and kind of miss those good ol' days in many ways.