ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.org>
To: community-en@lists.altlinux.org
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] TDE in Sisyphus
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 14:04:25 +0300

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 11:09:35AM +0000, David wrote:
> > These are within apt-conf-* package in the corresponding repo,
> > you can download and install it by hand -- but it's only the top
> > of the iceberg in this case as TDE won't survive three stages of
> > library updates it wasn't rebuilt against (it used to more or
> > less work back in p7, still present but rather broken in p8,
> > and missing in all of p9, p10 and sisyphus).
> I was hoping that I would be able to use Synaptic to at least
> try and install a few more applications from the p7(?)
> repository... knowing that the TDE build hasn't been updated
> after that time period.  But, I'm finding that TDE 3.5.13 is a
> little too unstable for me (lots of SEGFAULTS) that I think I'm
> just going to move on to p9 or p10 GnuStep/WindowMaker so I can
> enjoy my time with ALT to the fullest.  :)

A _real_ KDE3 was in 4.0 and 4.1, I've installed a host with the
latter couple years ago to have a MiniDV/FireWire camcorder
capable system (kernel upstream broke fw1394 support later on
while chasing storage applications, and kino along with the
libraries involved couldn't keep up back then; so "use the
hardware with corresponding age software" pragma held true);
and you know what... it was a boatload of nostalgia, the world
was quite different back in 2007 (but then again, 15 years on
I'd probably be as nostalgic regarding ALT Education 10 with
KDE5 we finally got finally running on Elbrus 8CB! :).

For the record:
http://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/4.1/Desktop/current/iso/

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org