ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] MIME definitions used by Firefox
@ 2005-03-07  1:33 Aaron McDonald
From: Aaron McDonald @ 2005-03-07  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Did Alt Linux recently discontinue use of the update-mime command? From what
I can tell, this program is used to update mailcap files.

Here's a little background as to why I'm asking the question:
After much investigation and research today I discovered that some of the
default applications that Firefox is using are from the .mailcap file in my
home directory. This file was last modified on Dec. 31st 2004 and it
contains useful MIME definitions for OpenOffice.org. If I remove this file,
Firefox no longer has these MIME definitions. The update-desktop-database
command creates /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache which Firefox also
uses, but this file doesn't contain any of the OpenOffice.org definitions.

So, my questions are:
Where did my .mailcap file come from?
and
What OpenOffice.org files need to be moved to /usr/share/applications/ so
that the OpenOffice.org definitions are in mimeinfo.cache?

Thanks,
Aaron

* Re: [Comm-en] MIME definitions used by Firefox
@ 2005-03-07  4:47 ` Yuri N. Sedunov
From: Yuri N. Sedunov @ 2005-03-07  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

В Вск, 06/03/2005 в 20:33 -0500, Aaron McDonald пишет:
> Did Alt Linux recently discontinue use of the update-mime command? From what
> I can tell, this program is used to update mailcap files.
>
> Here's a little background as to why I'm asking the question:
> After much investigation and research today I discovered that some of the
> default applications that Firefox is using are from the .mailcap file in my
> home directory. This file was last modified on Dec. 31st 2004 and it
> contains useful MIME definitions for OpenOffice.org. If I remove this file,
> Firefox no longer has these MIME definitions. The update-desktop-database
> command creates /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache which Firefox also
> uses, but this file doesn't contain any of the OpenOffice.org definitions.
>
> So, my questions are:
> Where did my .mailcap file come from?
> and
> What OpenOffice.org files need to be moved to /usr/share/applications/ so
> that the OpenOffice.org definitions are in mimeinfo.cache?

Standard .desktop files need to be placed in /usr/share/applications,
but now openoffice.org package doesn't provides standard .desktop files
in the standard location, this is a bug.
As a workaround You may put attached files:
openoffice-calc.desktop
openoffice-draw.desktop
openoffice-impress.desktop
openoffice-math.desktop
openoffice-writer.desktop
to /usr/share/applications and run update-desktop-database as root.

--
Yuri N. Sedunov
03/07/05 07:24:54

[-- Attachment #1.2: oo-desktop.files.tar.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip-compressed-tar, Size: 5299 bytes --]

* Re: [Comm-en] MIME definitions used by Firefox
@ 2005-03-07  6:00   ` Aaron McDonald
From: Aaron McDonald @ 2005-03-07  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Yuri, thanks for the advice on this. I took a look at an old Alt Linux 2.2
installation I still have and I found that it didn't have the update-mime
command either. It then occurred to me that maybe the .mailcap file isn't
created or updated when a package is installed, but rather when a program is
run. I deleted the OpenOffice.org entries from my .mailcap file and sure
enough, after running OpenOffice.org, the MIME definitions were restored.
So, I guess both my questions are answered.

Thanks,
Aaron

<community-en@altlinux.org>