ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] A couple of issues
@ 2022-01-06  5:05 Lyndon
From: Lyndon @ 2022-01-06  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

HI there. Just wondering about a couple of issues I am having.

When trying to import bookmarks from a html bookmarks file to Librewolf
or Tor browsers, the open dialog window simply does not launch and I
cannot look for the html file to import into the browsers. I also use
Falkon and Yandex browsers and I can import bookmarks via an html file
into them without any issues.

Another thing is I cannot attach any files to an email in Evolution
email program. Again the open window dialog to look for files to attach
simply does not appear.

 Also, When I click on a link in an email, I get the following message:

GDBBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name
org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any service files.

I am still enjoying the distro and don't want to change it !

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards, Lyndon

* Re: [Comm-en] A couple of issues
@ 2022-01-06 11:06 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-06 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Wed, Jan 05, 2022 at 09:05:32PM -0800, Lyndon wrote:
> HI there. Just wondering about a couple of issues I am having.
> When trying to import bookmarks from a html bookmarks file to Librewolf
> or Tor browsers, the open dialog window simply does not launch and I
> cannot look for the html file to import into the browsers. I also use
> Falkon and Yandex browsers and I can import bookmarks via an html file
> into them without any issues.

Haven't used Librewolf or Tor browsers, I'd ask those who make
them if this kind of functionality is supposed to be there
(if you're sure that it is and the issue is clearly regarding
the dialog, are there any other file open dialogs there -- like
for posting file attachments on websites, and if there are, do
_these_ work properly or not?).

> Another thing is I cannot attach any files to an email in Evolution
> email program. Again the open window dialog to look for files to attach
> simply does not appear.
>
>  Also, When I click on a link in an email, I get the following message:
>
> GDBBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name
> org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any service files.

An exact distro name (iso image filename, perfectly) would be
helpful; a reproducer like I've mentioned in a message just sent
to a nearby thread here would be very helpful, feel free to file:
http://bugzilla.altlinux.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Sisyphus&component=evolution
(again, do not presume the *package* maintainer knows the *OS*
and its setup you're running, please help him help you through
providing ISO name, /etc/altlinux-release contents, and
`rpm -q evolution` output); posting a bug link here is welcome,
of course.

But having two similar issues in unrelated packages hints that
something's broken in the common bits; maybe try reproducing it
off a LiveCD if it's provided by the particular distro you use.

And thanks for taking the time and effort to post those!

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

* Re: [Comm-en] A couple of issues
@ 2022-01-06 19:58 ` David
From: David @ 2022-01-06 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

I don't use any of those applications, so I don't have anything useful to suggest to help zero in on the problem.  However, many years ago, I did briefly use Gnome, along with Evolution and Thunar, and did have some unexplained issues with them similar to this.

I would suggest, if you can, try using these applications in another window manager (like xfce, icewm or windowmaker), just to see if you can get them to work properly.  You didn't specify which environment you're using, so I'm going to guess it's MATE.  If you can import bookmarks and attach documents in another desktop environment, then at least you know it was a problem with (possibly) MATE.

You can install another desktop/window manager onto your system via the Synaptic package manager.

Wish I could suggest something more to you.

David.