ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Re[2]: About forum
  @ 2004-12-22 12:35 ` Siver Andrey
From: Siver Andrey @ 2004-12-22 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

----- Original Message -----
From: <community-en-request@altlinux.org>
To: <community-en@altlinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 12:02 PM
Subject: Community-en Digest, Vol 18, Issue 1

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:54:37 +0200
> From: Michael Shigorin <mike@osdn.org.ua>
> Subject: Re: [Comm-en] About forum
> To: community-en@altlinux.org
>
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:31:18AM +0300, Siver Andrey wrote:
> > Is there any forum concerning ALT Linux specific questions?
>
> None really known.  It's a regularly demanded topic but so far
> only one occasion of a person agile enough not only to create,
> but to maintain the forum (and that was intended as a FAQ
> storage, not really as a forum) -- but that forum ceased to
> exist.

Yes, I know. That's why I'd up this question.

I'm not sure whether we should continue this talk in English (may be in
Russian in some other places would be better).

> > I noticed that traffic from discussion mail-lists is too high;
> > I did not recieve answers on my questions and do not interest
> > in the most of the messages.
>
> More focused answers can be obtained from paid technical support,
> you know, community isn't when you ask your questions, get your
> personalized answers in a minute and are not willing to help back.

When I ask some questions in forums for programmers (forum.vingrad.ru for
example) I recieve answers in one or two hours (and at least in a day for
very specific questions). That's because: (1) my questions occur in proper
places; (2) there are many people there.

As to pay. I think that some of my question would be more helpful for
developers (as a feedback) then for me or for our group.

It's not difficult at all to organize forum. There are many linux forums so
it's enoght to coordinate efforts.

Andrey

* Re: [Comm-en] About forum
@ 2004-12-22 12:44   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2004-12-22 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Definitely.  In community@ ? ;-)

> When I ask some questions in forums for programmers
> (forum.vingrad.ru for example) I recieve answers in one or two
> hours (and at least in a day for very specific questions).
> That's because: (1) my questions occur in proper places; (2)
> there are many people there.

Yep.  So far there are many knowledgeable people in community@
and there seems to be little enthusiasm among them to participate
in forums -- it's just overly time-consuming.

> As to pay. I think that some of my question would be more
> helpful for developers (as a feedback) then for me or for our
> group.

Maybe.  But then there's bugzilla ;-)

Otherwise, the real advice is to use proper mail agents for
different tasks.  All in all, judging without participation is
hard, and if you feel something is really nasty enough, you can
always contact org@ or support@.

> It's not difficult at all to organize forum. There are many
> linux forums so it's enoght to coordinate efforts.

Well you can do a search for "форум" at search.altlinux.ru to
identify those interested (there was a recent discussion) and
cooperate woth them [to cooperate with any forum] to bring the
thing up and running.

You're welcome :-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>