ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: TheGrove <admin@thegrove.in.nf>
To: ALT Linux <community-en@lists.altlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] p10-lxde-20230910-x86_64 kernel panic: sync error
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 09:32:12 -0600

On 12/18/23 7:15 AM, Michael Shigorin wrote:

> The problem is within the image's initrd, obviously;
> we've discussed it with the colleague busy with starterkits
> these days and I've asked another guy with EeePC to give it
> a run when the test i586.iso is ready; we'll come back
> soonish, hopefully (or feel free to ping this week).
>
> The culprit seems to be the ever-growing number and size
> of kernel drivers and firmare files available that bloats
> basically everything including initrd; I've proposed dropping
> server-related ones from desktop livecd images (one is rather
> not running his ALT LiveCD on a Mellanox SN2100 100GE switch,
> and when he does, he tends to know what to put there :-).

Thank you very much, Michael and Anton, for looking onto the issue I was
having.  It all makes sense and I can understand how the growing kernel
drivers and firmware files are making it difficult for us (with lower
resourced PCs) to use the software compiled.  I do appreciate your
efforts.  Knowing this information is useful.  I don't mind having to
keep using P9 where need be, I was just trying out the latest version.

Rather than ask the team to build something special for just one person
like me, is there another possible solution available to me? Does the
JeOS have a "lighter" initrd than the other Starter Kits? Could I use
that and then just add Window Maker to it, or is there more that I need
to understand to make the JeOS starter kit more functional?

I will certainly keep monitoring and will happily try any solution the
team create.  I do have some bandwidth to "play with" this month, so I
could download an image or two to experiment with, if that helps at all.

Kind regards,
David.

--
~~ TheGrove Publishing Services ~~