ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.org>
To: ALT Linux <community-en@lists.altlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] p10-lxde-20230910-x86_64 kernel panic: sync error
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 07:49:51 +0300

On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 11:08:12AM -0600, TheGrove wrote:
> > Anton has prepared a trimmed-down lxde-based 32-bit image:
> > http://nightly.altlinux.org/p10/archive/alt-p10-lxde-20231218-i586.iso
> > ...but don't haste please, we'll check it ourselves first --
> > hope to get back with it tomorrow.
> Okay... I'll wait and see the results from your evaluation
> before downloading.  ;)

Artyom says it passed with flying colours on his EeePC
with actually two gigs of RAM; welcome!

On Mon, Dec 18, 2023 at 01:51:48PM -0600, TheGrove wrote:
> > The current wmaker image is built with the same un-def
> > kernel flavour (newer, bigger) and it's most likely prone
> > to the same problem on that laptop.
> Would it be possible to make the previous p10 builds (for LXDE
> and/or GNUStep), prior to the 10-sept-2023 release,  available
> for download?  I can find them for "engineering" and "cnc-rt",
> but not for the other flavors.  Or, am I not looking in the
> right place for them? http://nightly.altlinux.org/p10/archive/

The place is right but looks like the regression came unnoticed
in betas that get published a week before the release; older
builds might be available through http://torrent.altlinux.org
(really depends on someone having had downloaded those *and*
still sharing).

I've only got 20221209 set in my downloads, can ask Artyom to
give it a run first not to bother archiving a degraded build:
http://torrent.altlinux.org/gettorrent.php?info_hash=a128de5af165bc8606a9f992cca6b607493f188c

But overall, it's about fixing our stuff where it depends on us,
and that's what has been done -- so hopefully there will be
better images next March, and we can go on experimenting
with the slim ones until then (so beta time doesn't catch
us all off guard).

> *I ask because, before the Sept 10th release, the p10 x86_64 build did
> work on my Aspire One.  So, I'd like to keep that one in my own archive,
> as I replaced it with this latest iso without knowing the issues that
> have occurred.  At the very least it would be a 64 bit OS and bring me
> closer to "up to date" status than the p9 install that I still have.
> Although having a working copy of the latest p10 in 32 bit (which you're
> testing now) would still be helpful.

Having a known good copy shelved is a good habit, and we can use
http://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/archive/p10/index/src/
and mkimage-profiles.git to make a build "like it was back then"
but the effort to reproduce that one might be better off being
put into just fixing the current ones.

--
Michael Shigorin
http://altlinux.org/elbrus