Linux console tools development discussion
* [kbd] eurlatgr uses different glyph for ' (single quote) than latarcyrheb-sun16
@ 2015-08-04 22:16 Adam Williamson
From: Adam Williamson @ 2015-08-04 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd; +Cc: mfabian

Hi, folks. Per
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NewDefaultConsoleFont -
"eurlatgr is based on latarcyrheb-sun16 so the typeface does not
change" - it sounds like eurlatgr is intended to have the same
appearance as latarcyrheb-sun16 for characters they share in common,
but in fact there seems to be at least one noticeable difference: the
single quote character ('). In eurlatgr it's a straight, vertical line;
in latarcyrheb-sun16 (and the qemu firmware font, for whatever that's
worth...) it's a curl, like a comma.

It's easy to see this: just type a ' in a console and flip between
eurlatgr and latarcyrheb-sun16 .

I noticed this because we've been implementing some Fedora tests using
openQA, SUSE's screenshot-match-based automated test framework, and one
of the tests we use matches against a string with a ' in it on a
console. For $BORING_REASONS the font used wound up being eurlatgr in
some tests I was running and the qemu console font in others, so the
match failed sometimes.

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

* Re: [kbd] eurlatgr uses different glyph for ' (single quote) than latarcyrheb-sun16
@ 2015-08-05 16:45 ` Ken Moffat
From: Ken Moffat @ 2015-08-05 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion; +Cc: mfabian

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 03:16:17PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks. Per
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NewDefaultConsoleFont -
> "eurlatgr is based on latarcyrheb-sun16 so the typeface does not
> change" - it sounds like eurlatgr is intended to have the same
> appearance as latarcyrheb-sun16 for characters they share in common,
> but in fact there seems to be at least one noticeable difference: the
> single quote character ('). In eurlatgr it's a straight, vertical line;
> in latarcyrheb-sun16 (and the qemu firmware font, for whatever that's
> worth...) it's a curl, like a comma.
>
> It's easy to see this: just type a ' in a console and flip between
> eurlatgr and latarcyrheb-sun16 .
>
> I noticed this because we've been implementing some Fedora tests using
> openQA, SUSE's screenshot-match-based automated test framework, and one
> of the tests we use matches against a string with a ' in it on a
> console. For $BORING_REASONS the font used wound up being eurlatgr in
> some tests I was running and the qemu console font in others, so the
> match failed sometimes.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin . net
> http://www.happyassassin.net

For fedora testing, this is undoubtedly an issue.  But for the kbd
list I cannot see that this has any relevance - a font designer is
free to change any, or all, the glyphs.  My LatGrkCyr-12x22 is based
on iso1-12x22, derived from the kernel's sun12x22, but most of the
glyphs are altered (in that case I needed more rows for diacriticals
so that I could recognise them).

Good luck with fixing your test infrastructure.

ĸen
--
This one goes up to eleven: but only on a clear day, with the wind in
the right direction.

* Re: [kbd] eurlatgr uses different glyph for ' (single quote) than latarcyrheb-sun16
@ 2015-08-11  6:53   ` Marko Myllynen
From: Marko Myllynen @ 2015-08-11  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

Hi,

On 2015-08-05 19:45, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 03:16:17PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>> It's easy to see this: just type a ' in a console and flip between
>> eurlatgr and latarcyrheb-sun16 .
>>
>> I noticed this because we've been implementing some Fedora tests using
>> openQA, SUSE's screenshot-match-based automated test framework, and one
>> of the tests we use matches against a string with a ' in it on a
>> console. For $BORING_REASONS the font used wound up being eurlatgr in
>> some tests I was running and the qemu console font in others, so the
>> match failed sometimes.
>>
> For fedora testing, this is undoubtedly an issue.  But for the kbd
> list I cannot see that this has any relevance - a font designer is
> free to change any, or all, the glyphs.

agreed, that's a Fedora specific issue not relevant here. But just for
the record, this is what I answered in the Fedora BZ:

The typeface didn't change but some individual glyphs were slightly
altered (for example to make the different accented variants of a letter
more consistent or to allow seeing more clearly the difference between
certain characters). Since there were quite a few single/double quoting
characters added, U+0027 was also slightly changed.

Cheers,

--
Marko Myllynen