Linux console tools development discussion
* [kbd] Changing bépo layout name
@ 2013-09-22 20:13 sinma
From: sinma @ 2013-09-22 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

Hello,

You (Alexey) have changed the bepo layout file from fr-dvorak-bepo to dvorak-
fr-bepo… That’s a bit annoying for users.

We think that’s a good thing to change the name, something simple and that
doesn’t refer to dvorak-fr anymore to prevent confusion with dvorak-fr (which
is a very different layout), and be consistent with the X.org naming.

Since almost nobody aren’t in UTF-8 (and if it’s the case, they just can don’t
use the utf-8 symbols), can you rename `dvorak-fr-bepo-utf8` to `bepo` and
delete the other keymap?

The users configuration will break if you make this changes…

If you’re planning to release a minor update soon, I will contact the Gentoo
and Arch Linux to include an update note (and to inform Bépo users that they
can get rid of the manual installed files).

Else (if kbd make his way in big distros like Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuse), it
might be best to put symlinks.

Thanks by advance,

sinma

* Re: [kbd] Changing bépo layout name
@ 2013-10-07 20:20 ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2013-10-07 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

23.09.2013 00:13, sinma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You (Alexey) have changed the bepo layout file from fr-dvorak-bepo to dvorak-
> fr-bepo… That’s a bit annoying for users.
>
> We think that’s a good thing to change the name, something simple and that
> doesn’t refer to dvorak-fr anymore to prevent confusion with dvorak-fr (which
> is a very different layout), and be consistent with the X.org naming.
>
> Since almost nobody aren’t in UTF-8 (and if it’s the case, they just can don’t
> use the utf-8 symbols), can you rename `dvorak-fr-bepo-utf8` to `bepo` and
> delete the other keymap?

Keymaps naming is a painful question. Always there are people who
don't like names of keymaps.

I have a big issue with kaymap names. The problem of conflict of names
during the search. For now I'm trying to give long file names, to
avoid this problem.

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] Changing bépo layout name
@ 2013-10-07 23:37   ` Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2013-10-07 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

Le mardi 8 octobre 2013 00:20:04 Alexey Gladkov a écrit :
> 23.09.2013 00:13, sinma wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > You (Alexey) have changed the bepo layout file from fr-dvorak-bepo to
> > dvorak- fr-bepo… That’s a bit annoying for users.
> >
> > We think that’s a good thing to change the name, something simple and that
> > doesn’t refer to dvorak-fr anymore to prevent confusion with dvorak-fr
> > (which is a very different layout), and be consistent with the X.org
> > naming.
> >
> > Since almost nobody aren’t in UTF-8 (and if it’s the case, they just can
> > don’t use the utf-8 symbols), can you rename `dvorak-fr-bepo-utf8` to
> > `bepo` and delete the other keymap?
>
> Keymaps naming is a painful question. Always there are people who
> don't like names of keymaps.
>
> I have a big issue with kaymap names. The problem of conflict of names
> during the search. For now I'm trying to give long file names, to
> avoid this problem.

Hi,

Before, we were the «clavier-dvorak» project. But the project has
evolved and it’s way different of others «dvorak-*» layouts. The name
reflects our project, and calling it «dvorak-fr-*» is confusing, people
might think it’s a fork of dvorak-fr, which is wrong.

X.org, and indicate clearly that it’s a french layout) or
«fr-dvorak-bepo» (like before).

A bad name for the layout you can confuse some of our users (or
non-users), so we think it’s important (and when it’s done, we can
forgot it).

@ 2013-10-08  9:49     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2013-10-08  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

08.10.2013 03:37, Sébastien wrote:
> Before, we were the «clavier-dvorak» project. But the project has
> evolved and it’s way different of others «dvorak-*» layouts. The name
> reflects our project, and calling it «dvorak-fr-*» is confusing, people
> might think it’s a fork of dvorak-fr, which is wrong.

Ok.

> X.org, and indicate clearly that it’s a french layout) or
> «fr-dvorak-bepo» (like before).

dvorak-fr-bepo.map -> fr-bepo.map
dvorak-fr-bepo-utf8.map -> fr-bepo-utf8.map

Do you agree with such rename?

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] Changing bépo layout name
@ 2013-10-09  7:01       ` sinma
From: sinma @ 2013-10-09  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

Alexey Gladkov <gladkov.alexey@gmail.com> a écrit :
>08.10.2013 03:37, Sébastien wrote:
>> Before, we were the «clavier-dvorak» project. But the project has
>> evolved and it’s way different of others «dvorak-*» layouts. The name
>
>> reflects our project, and calling it «dvorak-fr-*» is confusing,
>people
>> might think it’s a fork of dvorak-fr, which is wrong.
>
>Ok.
>
>> In X.org, the naming scheme is «fr dvorak» for dvorak-fr, and «fr
>bepo»
>> X.org, and indicate clearly that it’s a french layout) or
>> «fr-dvorak-bepo» (like before).
>
>dvorak-fr-bepo.map -> fr-bepo.map
>dvorak-fr-bepo-utf8.map -> fr-bepo-utf8.map
>
>Do you agree with such rename?

Almost everybody in UTF-8, so fr-dvorak-bepo-utf8 might become fr-bepo and the non-utf8 map fr-bepo-latin9 (or something that make sense).

It might also appear in the changelog that the renaming breaks user config. I can contact Gentoo and Arch Linux packagers, but other distributions may package kbd 2.0 before next release of kbd and I can't check all the little distributions.

Thanks for your time,

@ 2013-10-09  7:37         ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2013-10-09  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

09.10.2013 11:01, sinma wrote:
> Almost everybody in UTF-8, so fr-dvorak-bepo-utf8 might become
> fr-bepo and the non-utf8 map fr-bepo-latin9 (or something that make
> sense).

Ok.

dvorak-fr-bepo-utf8.map -> fr-bepo.map
dvorak-fr-bepo.map -> fr-bepo-latin9.map

> It might also appear in the changelog that the renaming breaks user
> config. I can contact Gentoo and Arch Linux packagers, but other
> distributions may package kbd 2.0 before next release of kbd and I
> can't check all the little distributions.

I'll add this rename into the changelog of course, but I don't think
that many people started using bepo from kbd-2.0.

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] Changing bépo layout name
@ 2013-10-09 12:01           ` sinma
From: sinma @ 2013-10-09 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

Alexey Gladkov <gladkov.alexey@gmail.com> a écrit :
>09.10.2013 11:01, sinma wrote:
>> Almost everybody in UTF-8, so fr-dvorak-bepo-utf8 might become
>> fr-bepo and the non-utf8 map fr-bepo-latin9 (or something that make
>> sense).
>
>Ok.
>
>dvorak-fr-bepo-utf8.map -> fr-bepo.map
>dvorak-fr-bepo.map -> fr-bepo-latin9.map

Great!

>> It might also appear in the changelog that the renaming breaks user
>> config. I can contact Gentoo and Arch Linux packagers, but other
>> distributions may package kbd 2.0 before next release of kbd and I
>> can't check all the little distributions.
>
>I'll add this rename into the changelog of course, but I don't think
>that many people started using bepo from kbd-2.0.

It isn't, even dev versions of openSUSE and Fedora aren't on kbd 2.0. I just worry too much.

Thank you for your time,

sinma