Linux console tools development discussion
* [kbd]  Include Bépo in the set of default layouts
@ 2013-04-18 20:53 Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2013-04-18 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

Hi,

I’m french (sorry if I do some mistakes), and I’m using the Bépo keyboard
layout. It’s a popular Dvorak-like French-optimized keyboard layout. Some
reasons to include it:

– Bépo layout is popular, see the number of people registered on our forum:
http://forum.bepo.fr/userlist.php (if we don’t count people with 0 messages
posted, 33 + 50 × 8 = 433), or on Linuxfr.org:
https://linuxfr.org/sondages/la-disposition-b%C3%A9po%E2%80%A6 (203 people
claims that they use Bépo, 114 wants to use it and 443 says “maybe one day”).
Some of this people created Ergodis, an association to promote Bépo (but not
only).

– physical Bépo keyboards. How to install a distro if we can’t use our
keyboard? (http://typematrix.com/bepo.php and http://www.ceciaa.com/clavier-ergoneos-fort-contraste-disposition-bepo-c2391-7.php for example).

– Bépo isn’t available on some distributions, so it’s not easy to install it,
especially for “noobs”. Bépo directly in kbd means no maintenance problems for
distributions and unified and simple solution to the problem.

– Bépo layout won’t evolve anymore (instead, we want to do a new (perfect?)
keyboard layout for the (far?) future). It means no maintenance burden for
you. Also, it’s less than 85 KiB (licences included)

So, what do you think about this idea?

Best,

* Re: [kbd] Include Bépo in the set of default layouts
@ 2013-04-21 18:03 ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2013-04-21 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

19.04.2013 00:53, Sébastien wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I’m french (sorry if I do some mistakes), and I’m using the Bépo keyboard
> layout. It’s a popular Dvorak-like French-optimized keyboard layout. Some
> reasons to include it:
>
> – Bépo layout is popular, see the number of people registered on our forum:
> http://forum.bepo.fr/userlist.php (if we don’t count people with 0 messages
> posted, 33 + 50 × 8 = 433), or on Linuxfr.org:
> https://linuxfr.org/sondages/la-disposition-b%C3%A9po%E2%80%A6 (203 people
> claims that they use Bépo, 114 wants to use it and 443 says “maybe one day”).
> Some of this people created Ergodis, an association to promote Bépo (but not
> only).
>
> – physical Bépo keyboards. How to install a distro if we can’t use our
> keyboard? (http://typematrix.com/bepo.php and http://www.ceciaa.com/clavier-ergoneos-fort-contraste-disposition-bepo-c2391-7.php for example).
>
> – Bépo isn’t available on some distributions, so it’s not easy to install it,
> especially for “noobs”. Bépo directly in kbd means no maintenance problems for
> distributions and unified and simple solution to the problem.
>
> – Bépo layout won’t evolve anymore (instead, we want to do a new (perfect?)
> keyboard layout for the (far?) future). It means no maintenance burden for
> you. Also, it’s less than 85 KiB (licences included)
>

> So, what do you think about this idea?

I have no objections about it.

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] Include Bépo in the set of default layouts
@ 2013-04-21 19:36   ` Sébastien
From: Sébastien @ 2013-04-21 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

Le dimanche 21 avril 2013 22:03:22 Alexey Gladkov a écrit :
> 19.04.2013 00:53, Sébastien wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I’m french (sorry if I do some mistakes), and I’m using the Bépo keyboard
> > layout. It’s a popular Dvorak-like French-optimized keyboard layout. Some
> > reasons to include it:
> >
> > – Bépo layout is popular, see the number of people registered on our
> > forum:
> > http://forum.bepo.fr/userlist.php (if we don’t count people with 0
> > messages
> > posted, 33 + 50 × 8 = 433), or on Linuxfr.org:
> > https://linuxfr.org/sondages/la-disposition-b%C3%A9po%E2%80%A6 (203 people
> > claims that they use Bépo, 114 wants to use it and 443 says “maybe one
> > day”). Some of this people created Ergodis, an association to promote
> > Bépo (but not only).
> >
> > – physical Bépo keyboards. How to install a distro if we can’t use our
> > keyboard? (http://typematrix.com/bepo.php and
> > http://www.ceciaa.com/clavier-ergoneos-fort-contraste-disposition-bepo-c2
> > 391-7.php for example).
> >
> > – Bépo isn’t available on some distributions, so it’s not easy to install
> > it, especially for “noobs”. Bépo directly in kbd means no maintenance
> > problems for distributions and unified and simple solution to the
> > problem.
> >
> > – Bépo layout won’t evolve anymore (instead, we want to do a new
> > (perfect?)
> > keyboard layout for the (far?) future). It means no maintenance burden for
> > you. Also, it’s less than 85 KiB (licences included)
> >

> > So, what do you think about this idea?
>
> I have no objections about it.

How do you make decisions here? Anybody is responsible of keyboard layouts?

However, the archive which contains all the files are here:
http://download.tuxfamily.org/dvorak/keymaps/fr-dvorak-bepo-keymaps-1.0rc2.tgz

(Yes it’s RC2, it’s the version we’ve freezed)

P.-S.: In the fr-dvorak-bepo.map, a dev puts a comment:
“CapsLock with '+eacute' doesn't work, nor with egrave, ccedilla,
ecircumflex, agrave and guillemotleft/right : bug ?”
Do you know how to resolve this problem? It’s better to check if everything is
ok before including it, isn’t it?

* Re: [kbd] Include Bépo in the set of default layouts
@ 2013-04-22 11:44     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2013-04-22 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

21.04.2013 23:36, Sébastien wrote:
>>> So, what do you think about this idea?
>>
>> I have no objections about it.
>
> How do you make decisions here? Anybody is responsible of keyboard layouts?

At the moment, I support the code and keymaps, so I make the decisions
about it.

> However, the archive which contains all the files are here:
> http://download.tuxfamily.org/dvorak/keymaps/fr-dvorak-bepo-keymaps-1.0rc2.tgz

I'll look at it in the near future.

> P.-S.: In the fr-dvorak-bepo.map, a dev puts a comment:
> “CapsLock with '+eacute' doesn't work, nor with egrave, ccedilla,
> ecircumflex, agrave and guillemotleft/right : bug ?”
> Do you know how to resolve this problem? It’s better to check if everything is
> ok before including it, isn’t it?

Yes. I'll look in the parser for this.

--
Rgrds, legion