Linux console tools development discussion
* [kbd] wrong key definition for euro symbol
@ 2008-03-05 18:11 joehtg
From: joehtg @ 2008-03-05 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

All euro-files in kbd incorrectly define "currency" instead of "euro".
euro sign U+20AC and currency sign U+00a4  are not to be confused!
http://www.decodeunicode.org/u+20ac
http://www.decodeunicode.org/u+00a4

i386/include/euro.map
i386/include/euro1.inc
i386/include/euro1.map
i386/include/euro2.map
mac/include/mac-euro.map
mac/include/mac-euro2.map
there are more occurences of "currency" in keymaps which probably should read
"euro".

Greetings from Austria
Joe

* Re: [kbd] wrong key definition for euro symbol
@ 2008-03-09 13:53 ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2008-03-09 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

joehtg@joehtg.co.at wrote:
> All euro-files in kbd incorrectly define "currency" instead of "euro".
> euro sign U+20AC and currency sign U+00a4  are not to be confused!
> http://www.decodeunicode.org/u+20ac
> http://www.decodeunicode.org/u+00a4
>
> i386/include/euro.map
> i386/include/euro1.inc
> i386/include/euro1.map
> i386/include/euro2.map
> mac/include/mac-euro.map
> mac/include/mac-euro2.map
> there are more occurences of "currency" in keymaps which probably should read
> "euro".

Xm... I think you are right.
Thanks a lot.

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] wrong key definition for euro symbol
@ 2008-03-09 22:50 ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2008-03-09 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

joehtg@joehtg.co.at wrote:
> i386/include/euro.map
> i386/include/euro1.inc
> i386/include/euro1.map
> i386/include/euro2.map
> mac/include/mac-euro.map
> mac/include/mac-euro2.map

I have changed these includes.

> there are more occurences of "currency" in keymaps which probably should read
> "euro".

I don't really know in what keymap "currency" should be changed to "euro".

--
Rgrds, legion

* [kbd] key definition for currency symbol
@ 2008-03-10  9:42   ` Josef Hinteregger
From: Josef Hinteregger @ 2008-03-10  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Linux console tools development discussion'

I was wrong, "currency" is ok for some other keyboard layouts.

I have found this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_%28typography%29

The (currency) symbol is available on some keyboard layouts, for example
French, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish keyboards. On US International
keyboard layouts, it is obtained by AltGr + 4.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.mspx
I have seen that on the US-international kbd there is a "currency" key, the
French keyboard has both keys "euro" and "currency". I will check more when
I find time.

* Re: [kbd] key definition for currency symbol
@ 2008-03-10 10:42     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2008-03-10 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

Josef Hinteregger wrote:
> I was wrong, "currency" is ok for some other keyboard layouts.

Yes. But people expect to see "euro" sign when keymap include
"euro.map" directly.

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] diagnostic and demo tool ushowkey
  @ 2008-03-13 16:46         ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2008-03-13 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

Josef Hinteregger wrote:
> I would like to contribute a tool I have written. For the moment I
> have called it ushowkey, kind of showkey with display of Unicode
> information for the characters entered. It is not restricted to the
> console. Here is a sample output from a putty session
>
> Press key(s) to display diagnostic info check if key codes are in
> sync with locale encoding and if function keys are recognized by
> ncurses/terminfo Leave with q, Ctrl-D, ESC, Return

I really do not like the idea of adding dependence on ncurses/terminfo
to kbd package only for this utility.

I can put this utility into contrib directory.

--
Rgrds, legion