Linux console tools development discussion
* Re: [kbd] OLPC specific keymaps
  @ 2008-01-10  7:35   ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2008-01-10  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andries E. Brouwer
  Cc: Dennis Gilmore, vcrhonek, Bernardo Innocenti, Walter Bender, kbd

Andries E. Brouwer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 05:38:30PM -0500, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the OLPC comes with a physical keyboard layout which is
>> slightly different from the traditional PC.
>>
>> We also have a number of tweaks and additions on our
>> international keyboard maps.  This is all taken care of in the
>> xkb keyboards.
>>
>> So far, we did not bother too much about updating the console
>> keymaps, because this is not what the children would be using
>> daily.  However, some maps need massaging even to get common
>> ASCII punctuation ('`~/) right.
>>
>> I'm attaching two modified maps we modified as an example.

Please, send me example too. :)

>> Now I'm wondering how we could integrate such changes upstream.
>> Shall we create an olpc directory at the same level of i386 or
>> at the level of qwerty?
>>
>> Fedora specific: shall we branch this package for olpc?
>> I'd be willing to merge my changes in devel if the current
>> maintainer agrees on it.
>>
>> --
>>  \___/
>>  |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
>>   \___\  One Laptop Per Child - http://www.laptop.org/
>
> The kbd package was taken over by Alexey Gladkov <legion@altlinux.ru>.

I'm adding kbd maillist on Cc.
Maybe we will discuss it there ?

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] OLPC specific keymaps
@ 2008-01-10 13:03     ` Bernardo Innocenti
From: Bernardo Innocenti @ 2008-01-10 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Gladkov
  Cc: Dennis Gilmore, Andries E. Brouwer, vcrhonek, Walter Bender, kbd

Alexey Gladkov wrote:

> Please, send me example too. :)

Attached.  If they seem ok, please feel free to add them to your
upstream package in i386/olpc/.

> I'm adding kbd maillist on Cc.
> Maybe we will discuss it there ?

Sure.  For completeness, I'm appending here the other branch
of this thread:

---cut---

Andries E. Brouwer wrote:
> If I conjecture that you use a more or less standard Linux kernel
> for the OLPC, and use PC-compatible hardware, then maybe your keyboard
> belongs under i386.

Ok.  I don't fully understand how the lookup works in loadkeys.
Do we have to prepend "olpc-" to the maps we customize?

Is there a way to make this search happen automatically and fall
back to qwerty if the olpc variant doesn't exist?

For xkb, we have moved the layout configuration entirely in the
manufacturing data in ROM, so we'd not have to hardcode keyboard
tables in all OSes that support OLPC.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  \___\  One Laptop Per Child - http://www.laptop.org/

[-- Attachment #2: olpc-es.map --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2664 bytes --]

! Spanish keymap for OLPC; based upon es.map
! Walter Bender (3 January 2008)
!
charset "iso-8859-15"
keymaps 0-2,4,6,8-9,12
include "qwerty-layout"
include "linux-with-alt-and-altgr"
strings as usual

keycode   1 = Escape
	alt     keycode   1 = Meta_Escape
keycode   2 = one              exclam    bar
	alt     keycode   2 = Meta_one
keycode   3 = two             quotedbl	 at
	control keycode   3 = nul
	alt     keycode   3 = Meta_two
keycode   4 = three           grave	numbersign
	control keycode   4 = Escape
	alt     keycode   4 = Meta_grave
keycode   5 = four             dollar
	alt     keycode   5 = Meta_four
keycode   6 = five             percent	asciicircum
	control keycode   6 = Control_asciicircum
	alt     keycode   6 = Meta_five
keycode   7 = six              ampersand notsign
	alt     keycode   7 = Meta_six
keycode   8 = seven            slash 		backslash
	control keycode   8 = Control_backslash
	alt     keycode   8 = Meta_seven
keycode   9 = eight            parenleft
	control keycode   9 = Delete
	alt     keycode   9 = Meta_eight
keycode  10 = nine             parenright
	alt     keycode  10 = Meta_nine
keycode  11 = zero             equal
	alt     keycode  11 = Meta_equal
keycode  12 = apostrophe       question
	alt     keycode  12 = Meta_apostrophe
keycode  13 = exclamdown questiondown
keycode  14 = Delete
	control keycode  14 = Control_underscore
	alt     keycode  14 = Meta_Delete
keycode  15 = Tab
	alt     keycode  15 = Meta_Tab
keycode  18 = e		       E		euro
keycode  26 = apostrophe       diaeresis      degree
keycode  27 = bracketleft     braceleft
	control keycode  27 = Escape
	alt     keycode  27 = Meta_bracketleft
keycode  28 = Return
	alt     keycode  28 = Meta_Control_m
keycode  29 = Control
keycode  39 = +ntilde +Ntilde
keycode  40 = plus     asterisk		asciitilde
	control keycode  40 = Control_g
	alt     keycode  40 = Meta_asciitilde
keycode  41 = masculine ordfeminine backslash
	control keycode  41 = Control_backslash
	alt     keycode  41 = Meta_backslash
keycode  42 = Shift
keycode  43 = bracketright	braceright
	control keycode  43 = Control_bracketright
	alt     keycode  43 = Meta_bracketright
keycode  51 = comma  semicolon
	alt     keycode  51 = Meta_comma
	shift alt keycode  51 = Meta_semicolon
keycode  52 = period       colon
	alt     keycode  52 = Meta_period
keycode  53 = minus      underscore
	control keycode  53 = Control_underscore
	alt     keycode  53 = Meta_minus
keycode  54 = Shift
keycode  56 = Alt
keycode  57 = space
	control keycode  57 = nul
	alt     keycode  57 = Meta_space
keycode  211 = less greater
	alt     keycode  211 = Meta_less
	shift alt keycode 211 = Meta_greater

[-- Attachment #3: olpc-pt.map --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2321 bytes --]

! Portuguese keymap for OLPC; based upon pt.map
! Walter Bender (8 January 2008)
!
charset "iso-8859-15"
keymaps 0-2,4,6,8,12
alt_is_meta
include "qwerty-layout"
include "linux-with-alt-and-altgr"
strings as usual

keycode   1 = Escape
	alt	keycode	1 = Meta_Escape
keycode   2 = one             exclam 		onesuperior
keycode   3 = two             at		twosuperior
keycode   4 = three           numbersign	threesuperior
keycode   5 = four            dollar
keycode   6 = five            percent		cent
keycode   7 = six             dead_diaeresis    notsign
keycode   8 = seven           ampersand
keycode   9 = eight           asterisk
keycode  10 = nine            parenleft
keycode  11 = zero            parenright
keycode  12 = minus	      underscore
	control keycode  12 = Control_underscore
	alt	keycode  12 = Meta_minus
keycode  13 = equal	plus			section
	alt	keycode  13 = Meta_equal
keycode  14 = Delete
keycode  15 = Tab
keycode  18 = e		       E		euro
keycode  26 = apostrophe       grave		dead_acute       dead_grave
	alt	keycode  26 = Meta_apostrophe
keycode  27 = bracketleft	braceleft	ordfeminine
	control	keycode	 27 = Escape
	alt	keycode  27 = Meta_bracketleft
keycode  28 = Return
	alt	keycode  28 = Meta_Control_m
keycode  29 = Control
        shift   keycode  29 = Compose
keycode  39 = +ccedilla         Ccedilla
keycode  40 = asciitilde  asciicircum	dead_tilde       dead_circumflex
	control	keycode  40 = Control_asciicircum
	alt 	keycode	 40 = Meta_asciitilde
keycode  41 = apostrophe        quotedbl
	alt	keycode  41 = Meta_grave
keycode  42 = Shift
keycode  43 = bracketright	braceright	masculine
	control	keycode  43 = Control_bracketright
	alt	keycode  43 = Meta_bracketright
keycode  44 = z		       Z		bar
keycode  51 = comma     less
	alt	keycode  51 = Meta_comma
keycode  52 = period    greater	backslash
	control keycode  52 = Control_backslash
	alt	keycode  52 = Meta_period
keycode  53 = semicolon	colon
	alt	keycode  53 = Meta_semicolon
keycode  54 = Shift
keycode  56 = Alt
keycode  57 = space
	control	keycode  57 = nul
keycode 211 = slash	question
	alt	keycode  211 = Meta_slash
compose 'e' '=' to '¤'
compose '-' 'e' to '¤'
compose '-' 'E' to '¤'
compose '=' 'E' to '¤'

* Re: [kbd] OLPC specific keymaps
@ 2008-01-11 23:50       ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2008-01-11 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernardo Innocenti
  Cc: Dennis Gilmore, Andries E. Brouwer, vcrhonek, Walter Bender, kbd

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Alexey Gladkov wrote:
>
>> Please, send me example too. :)
>
> Attached.  If they seem ok, please feel free to add them to your
> upstream package in i386/olpc/.

I haven't OLPC hardware to test these keymaps, so I add them as is.

http://git.altlinux.org/people/legion/packages/kbd.git?p=kbd.git;a=shortlog;h=1.14wip

--
Rgrds, legion