Linux console tools development discussion
* Re: [kbd] U+f000 and above
  @ 2021-03-20  9:28 ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2021-03-20  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pooya Taherkhani; +Cc: Linux console tools development discussion

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 06:54:12PM -0500, Pooya Taherkhani wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I cannot load Farsi keymap because a decision was made here:

> to prevent it from loading.  Interestingly, a secondary reason cited by
> Michael Schutte to prevent the Farsi keyboard from loading is (from link
> above):
>
> As far as I can tell, there are no widespread keymap files which use
> this feature.
>

> I'd greatly appreciate it if anybody could direct me to some instructions
> on how to load Farsi keyboard.
>
> Here is the command that I enter and the error I get:
>
> [pooya@thinkpad ~] sudo loadkeys fa
> [sudo] password for pooya:
> unicode keysym out of range: U+FDFC
> syntax error, unexpected ERROR, expecting NUMBER or LITERAL or PLUS or
> UNUMBER

The keymap you are trying to load is not valid. The linux kernel cannot
handle keysym greater than 0xf000. You need to fix this and then the
keymap will load.

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] U+f000 and above
@ 2021-03-20 13:31   ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2021-03-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, at 05:28, Alexey Gladkov wrote:
> The keymap you are trying to load is not valid. The linux kernel cannot
> handle keysym greater than 0xf000. You need to fix this and then the
> keymap will load.

What exactly is the correct way to define a keyboard that uses characters in the valid Unicode range above U+F900?

* Re: [kbd] U+f000 and above
@ 2021-03-20 15:58     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2021-03-20 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 09:31:41AM -0400, Random832 wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021, at 05:28, Alexey Gladkov wrote:
> > The keymap you are trying to load is not valid. The linux kernel cannot
> > handle keysym greater than 0xf000. You need to fix this and then the
> > keymap will load.
>
> What exactly is the correct way to define a keyboard that uses
> characters in the valid Unicode range above U+F900?

Where is no way to use keysym above U+F000.

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] U+f000 and above
  @ 2021-03-22  9:54     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2021-03-22  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pooya Taherkhani; +Cc: Linux console tools development discussion

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 05:30:49PM -0500, Pooya Taherkhani wrote:
> Alexay,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I used to have Farsi keyboard on Linux Ubuntu,
> but now I am not sure if there is any Frasi keyboard other than the "fa"
> keymap that works on Arch Linux.
>
> Could you point me to where to start if I want to fix the "fa" keymap?

You just need to find all unicode symbols greater than 0xf000 in the "fa"
keymap and replace them with something below that limit.

--
Rgrds, legion