ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Adding XFCE4 to p9 GNUStep install
@ 2022-01-21  3:20 David
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David @ 2022-01-21  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Greetings, all!

I would like the opinion of someone from the ALT Linux team in regards to the best way to add XFCE4 to the p9 GNUStep system I have installed from the Live ISO.  I would like to do this, rather than download the XFCE specific .iso, as I'm trying to save some bandwidth.

Just to be clear, I do _not_ want to replace my Window Maker environment.  The XFCE desktop would be for my wife's PC, as she's more familiar working with this sort of desktop environment.  My idea is to install the GNUStep Live ISO I already have and then add XFCE for her.

I have found xfce4-full in the p9 repository, but I want to make sure that this is the best way of adding XFCE to the system.  If there's a better selection of Synaptic packages to achieve my goal, could someone please let me know?  I've also found some ALT-Linux XFCE4 branding packages in Synaptic.  Are any of these recommended to install along with the standard XFCE4 packages?

Any advice anyone can share with me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

David.

* Re: [Comm-en] Adding XFCE4 to p9 GNUStep install
@ 2022-01-21 15:40 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 03:20:34AM +0000, David wrote:
> I have found xfce4-full in the p9 repository, but I want to
> make sure that this is the best way of adding XFCE to the
> system.

Should be good enough but speaking of bandwidth,
xfce4-regular should pull in a (considerable) subset
of those required by xfce4-full, and it's what included
into xfce image flavour:

http://git.altlinux.org/gears/m/mkimage-profiles.git?p=mkimage-profiles.git;a=blob;f=conf.d/regular.mk;h=01335155891ab2a709e8e88365a358bd9e958584;hb=e7735316e7c71cda64eeb44d4a25dae6081aed39#l152
http://git.altlinux.org/gears/m/mkimage-profiles.git?p=mkimage-profiles.git;a=blob;f=conf.d/mixin.mk;h=19bb751fa99a2263c2fe25c86781fbef7d220000;hb=e7735316e7c71cda64eeb44d4a25dae6081aed39#l103

> If there's a better selection of Synaptic packages to achieve
> my goal, could someone please let me know?  I've also found
> some ALT-Linux XFCE4 branding packages in Synaptic.  Are any of
> these recommended to install along with the standard XFCE4
> packages?

The second link above shows that these packages get into xfce
based image:

  xfce4-regular xreader xdg-user-dirs-gtk light-locker
  pavucontrol xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin xfce-polkit

Installing branding-alt-starterkit-xfce-settings might
make sense too (it's pretty tiny, 18k).

---
 103 mixin/xfce-base: use/x11/xfce +nm-gtk \
 104         use/fonts/ttf/redhat use/fonts/ttf/google/extra
 105         @$(call add,THE_BRANDING,xfce-settings)
 106         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xfce4-regular)
 107         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xreader)
 108         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xdg-user-dirs-gtk)
 109
 110 mixin/regular-xfce: mixin/xfce-base use/domain-client +pulse
 111         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,light-locker pavucontrol)
 112         @$(call add,THE_PACKAGES,xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin xfce-polkit)
--- conf.d/mixin.mk

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

* Re: [Comm-en] Adding XFCE4 to p9 GNUStep install
@ 2022-01-21 16:10 ` David
From: David @ 2022-01-21 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

January 21, 2022 9:40 AM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike@altlinux.org> wrote:

> Should be good enough but speaking of bandwidth,
> xfce4-regular should pull in a (considerable) subset
> of those required by xfce4-full, and it's what included
> into xfce image flavour:
>
> http://git.altlinux.org/gears/m/mkimage-profiles.git?p=mkimage-profiles.git;a=blob;f=conf.d/regular.
> k;h=01335155891ab2a709e8e88365a358bd9e958584;hb=e7735316e7c71cda64eeb44d4a25dae6081aed39#l152
> http://git.altlinux.org/gears/m/mkimage-profiles.git?p=mkimage-profiles.git;a=blob;f=conf.d/mixin.mk
> h=19bb751fa99a2263c2fe25c86781fbef7d220000;hb=e7735316e7c71cda64eeb44d4a25dae6081aed39#l103
>

> The second link above shows that these packages get into xfce
> based image:
>
> xfce4-regular xreader xdg-user-dirs-gtk light-locker
> pavucontrol xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin xfce-polkit
>
> Installing branding-alt-starterkit-xfce-settings might
> make sense too (it's pretty tiny, 18k).

Fantastic!  Thank you, Michael, this completely answers my question and is what I was hoping for.

:)

* Re: [Comm-en] Adding XFCE4 to p9 GNUStep install
@ 2022-01-21 21:19 ` David
From: David @ 2022-01-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

I'm sending this again, as it just occurred to me that the mail server may not allow attachments.  So, I'll include a link to the screenshot mentioned below, instead.  My apologies if this message appears twice in the logs.

January 21, 2022 9:40 AM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike@altlinux.org> wrote:

    Should be good enough but speaking of bandwidth,
     xfce4-regular should pull in a (considerable) subset
     of those required by xfce4-full, and it's what included
     into xfce image flavour:

I went and flagged bloth xfce4-full and xfce4-regular and all that went along with it.  Seemed to install just fine, apart from two minor issues.

During install, Synaptic had an issue with something.  But because of that bug with the fonts, I couldn't tell what it was.  So I ran the install on the command line and finally saw that there was a conflict with samba.

see screenshot at:  http://ebookmanlives.byethost10.com/archive/apt-get-xfce-install-error.jpg?i=1

I just unmarked the samba modules and the install completed without further problems.

The only other issue I've experienced is with a pop up error window when booting up the XFCE desktop.  A Policy Agent error pops up, but I just have to click the OK button and all seems to proceed as expected.  Not sure what that is all about and from what I could find so far on-line about it seems to have something to do with systemd.  Now, I'm not using systemd, but rather sysv.  Might be what XFCE is complaining about.  But, everything seems to working.

Just thought I'd share my experience, in case someone else tries the same procedure in the future.

@ 2022-01-21 21:57   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-21 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 09:19:03PM +0000, David wrote:
> I'm sending this again, as it just occurred to me that the mail
> server may not allow attachments.  So, I'll include a link to
> the screenshot mentioned below, instead.

Erm, just selecting the text and pasting it would be better yet
as I could have quoted it then :-)

> During install, Synaptic had an issue with something.  But
> because of that bug with the fonts, I couldn't tell what it
> was.  So I ran the install on the command line and finally saw
> that there was a conflict with samba.  see screenshot at:
> http://ebookmanlives.byethost10.com/archive/apt-get-xfce-install-error.jpg?i=1
>
> I just unmarked the samba modules and the install completed
> without further problems.

This way, or remove gnustep-gworkspace; a file conflict like this
should be marked explicitly in the package headers, and this was
already spotted and fixed in Sisyphus last year (so hit p10):
http://bugzilla.altlinux.org/40073

> The only other issue I've experienced is with a pop up error
> window when booting up the XFCE desktop.  A Policy Agent error
> pops up, but I just have to click the OK button and all seems
> to proceed as expected.

Post a screenshot -- or better yet, error message text --
and maybe have a look at "rpm -qa | grep -i policy" output;
just a guess but I'd try removing xfce-polkit if it's not
needed (OTOH there's a polkit-sysvinit package that can be
installed for that matter -- this one contains configuration
to allow users in "xgrp" group control network and media
on their sysv-based system running polkit).

BTW, you can avoid double downloads by copying /var/cache/apt/
contents over between the systems (or setting up a caching proxy
for apt if there's a system that serves as a router anyways and
it has some storage).

--

@ 2022-01-21 23:07   ` David
From: David @ 2022-01-21 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

January 21, 2022 3:57 PM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike@altlinux.org> wrote:

> Erm, just selecting the text and pasting it would be better yet
> as I could have quoted it then :-)

My apologies.  I'll do better next time. :)

> This way, or remove gnustep-gworkspace; a file conflict like this
> should be marked explicitly in the package headers, and this was
> already spotted and fixed in Sisyphus last year (so hit p10):
> http://bugzilla.altlinux.org/40073

Yes, one of dangers of not running the latest version.  But, I knew it was an easy fix.

> Post a screenshot -- or better yet, error message text --
> and maybe have a look at "rpm -qa | grep -i policy" output;
> just a guess but I'd try removing xfce-polkit if it's not
> needed (OTOH there's a polkit-sysvinit package that can be
> installed for that matter -- this one contains configuration
> to allow users in "xgrp" group control network and media
> on their sysv-based system running polkit).

Thank you, Michael!  I will give this a try the next time I have access to the PC.  My wife is busy exploring her new desktop and configuring everything to her liking.

> BTW, you can avoid double downloads by copying /var/cache/apt/
> contents over between the systems (or setting up a caching proxy
> for apt if there's a system that serves as a router anyways and
> it has some storage).

Thanks so much for mentioning this and reminding me about it!  I completely forgot about this ability to transfer downloaded packages between systems.