ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] P10 LXDE i586 build on older hardware
@ 2023-12-19 17:24 TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2023-12-19 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

I hope no one minds that I started a new thread for this subject.

I downloaded the Dec 18 build that was made for p10 LXDE i586, used ALT
Media Maker to put it to a USB and booted it up on my EeeBox.  I can run
the Live session just fine.  But, when it comes to the install, at step
6/14 when it's installing from base image, at 2% it stops with a "Fatal
error".  Error unpacking image from /dev/loop0 into /mnt/destination:1

So, now I go back and boot up my older copy of p9 GNUStep x86 and
install that, everything completes with no troubles.  The only
difference that I can see between the install processes (well apart from
all of the back-end changes between p9 and p10) is that the installer is
forcing Ext4 format in p10 and p9 is using Ext2/3.  But, I can't see
that as being an issue.  It never has been before, anyway.

So, this is where I'm at.  But, no rush in finding a solution, if it's
even worth perusing.  For this one EeeBox, I'm perfectly happy staying
with p9.  Just keep posting updates for it, please. :) I just wanted the
team to know my results, as I said I would report them back to you.

David.

* Re: [Comm-en] P10 LXDE i586 build on older hardware
@ 2023-12-19 18:47 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2023-12-19 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 11:24:29AM -0600, TheGrove wrote:
> I downloaded the Dec 18 build that was made for p10 LXDE i586, used ALT
> Media Maker to put it to a USB and booted it up on my EeeBox.  I can run
> the Live session just fine.  But, when it comes to the install, at step
> 6/14 when it's installing from base image, at 2% it stops with a "Fatal
> error".  Error unpacking image from /dev/loop0 into /mnt/destination:1

Passed the message to Anton.

> So, now I go back and boot up my older copy of p9 GNUStep x86 and
> install that, everything completes with no troubles.  The only
> difference that I can see between the install processes (well apart from
> all of the back-end changes between p9 and p10) is that the installer is
> forcing Ext4 format in p10 and p9 is using Ext2/3.  But, I can't see
> that as being an issue.  It never has been before, anyway.

Well it was a very longstanding bug that "Ext2/3" actually meant
"Ext4" for the most part (unless one chose to tweak the filesystem
creation parameters and turned off ext4 extents or even ext3 journal
-- it's been finally fixed, sorry for confusion :-)

There were other differences in the installation process
but I'm not that keen on those so asking those who are.

> So, this is where I'm at.  But, no rush in finding a solution,
> if it's even worth perusing.  For this one EeeBox, I'm
> perfectly happy staying with p9.  Just keep posting updates
> for it, please. :)

Official support for p9/branch ends this New Year's eve...
http://altlinux.org/branches/p9 (in Russian, translate.yandex.com
might prove helpful).

We tend to keep older branches alive for quite some more time
than officially stated, and some community members play an
important role in that -- I tend to switch to new stable
branches a bit in advance but then again I'd really better
see what exactly our users will face in advance either ;-)

> I just wanted the team to know my results, as I said I would
> report them back to you.

Thank you!

--
Michael Shigorin
http://altlinux.org/elbrus

* Re: [Comm-en] P10 LXDE i586 build on older hardware
  @ 2023-12-20  1:18   ` TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2023-12-20  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

On 12/19/23 7:05 PM, Антон Мидюков wrote:

> The drive you are installing on is either too slow or does not work properly with the new kernel.
> But most likely the first. Then this regression is caused by using unsquashfs to unpack the image instead of copying files from the mounted squash.

Greetings, Anton!

Ah, I see. Interesting.  I never experienced that issue with a hard
drive before.  Perhaps I will see if I can come up with some sort of
alternative for that particular machine.  And the issue would definitely
be with the hard drive and not the USB drive that I'm installing from?

Thank you for your insight!

  @ 2023-12-23  1:43       ` TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2023-12-23  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

I see a Dec. 21 build for p10-LXDE-i586 in the p10/archive folder. Is
this the latest build with a slower install option for older hardware?

* [Comm-en] Does the latest i586 updates include "old mode" support?
@ 2024-01-10 22:53       ` TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2024-01-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

Greetings and Happy New Year to the ALT Team!

I just saw the latest updates to the Wiki and wondered, does the latest
i586 iso updates (like this one for example:
http://nightly.altlinux.org/sisyphus/archive/regular-gnustep-sysv-20240103-i586.iso)
include the "old mode" support that was discussed at the end of December?

I'd like to confirm before downloading the new image(s).

Regards,
David.

---------- E-mail Encryption ----------
To send secure e-mails, you can find our PGP public key block here:
https://keys.openpgp.org/search?q=admin@thegrove.in.nf
----------

* Re: [Comm-en] Does the latest i586 updates include "old mode" support?
@ 2024-01-11  6:47         ` Антон Мидюков
From: Антон Мидюков @ 2024-01-11  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

11.01.2024 05:53, TheGrove пишет:
> Greetings and Happy New Year to the ALT Team!
>
> I just saw the latest updates to the Wiki and wondered, does the latest
> i586 iso updates (like this one for example:
> http://nightly.altlinux.org/sisyphus/archive/regular-gnustep-sysv-20240103-i586.iso)
> include the "old mode" support that was discussed at the end of December?
>
> I'd like to confirm before downloading the new image(s).

1. Now all i586 images have plymouth disabled, so they must boot on 512 MB of RAM.
2. The old installation mode is available for all live regular iso using the kernel cmdline 'oldinst' option
3. regular-gnustep-sysv and regular-icewm-sysv were archived due to a bug https://bugzilla.altlinux.org/49020
   are now build regular-gnustep and regular-icewm with systemd.
4. for regular-gnustep-sysv and regular-icewm-sysv from archive is available old installation mode

--
С уважением, Антон Мидюков <antohami@altlinux.org>

* Re: [Comm-en] Does the latest i586 updates include "old mode" support?
@ 2024-01-19 16:44           ` TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2024-01-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

Here is a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure out the answer on
my own:  how do I invoke the 'oldinst' command on a typical regular x86
iso?  I tried typing "E" at the GRUB boot up screen, but I cannot seem
to properly command the 'oldinst' to activate.

On 1/11/24 12:47 AM, Антон Мидюков wrote:

> 1. Now all i586 images have plymouth disabled, so they must boot on 512 MB of RAM.
> 2. The old installation mode is available for all live regular iso using the kernel cmdline 'oldinst' option
> 3. regular-gnustep-sysv and regular-icewm-sysv were archived due to a bug https://bugzilla.altlinux.org/49020
>    are now build regular-gnustep and regular-icewm with systemd.
> 4. for regular-gnustep-sysv and regular-icewm-sysv from archive is available old installation mode

--
~~ TheGrove Publishing Services ~~
~~ https://www.thegrove.in.nf ~~

* Re: [Comm-en] Does the latest i586 updates include "old mode" support?
@ 2024-01-19 16:49             ` Антон Мидюков
From: Антон Мидюков @ 2024-01-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

19.01.2024 23:44, TheGrove пишет:
> Here is a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure out the answer on
> my own:  how do I invoke the 'oldinst' command on a typical regular x86
> iso?  I tried typing "E" at the GRUB boot up screen, but I cannot seem
> to properly command the 'oldinst' to activate.

Add 'oldinst' to the end of the line starting with the word 'linux' and press F10 or ctrl+x.

@ 2024-01-19 16:51               ` TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2024-01-19 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

On 1/19/24 10:49 AM, Антон Мидюков wrote:
> 19.01.2024 23:44, TheGrove пишет:
>> Here is a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure out the answer on
>> my own:  how do I invoke the 'oldinst' command on a typical regular x86
>> iso?  I tried typing "E" at the GRUB boot up screen, but I cannot seem
>> to properly command the 'oldinst' to activate.
>>
> Add 'oldinst' to the end of the line starting with the word 'linux' and press F10 or ctrl+x.

Thank you so much!  I knew it was a simple answer.

* Re: [Comm-en] Does the latest i586 updates include "old mode" support?
@ 2024-01-20  2:21                 ` TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2024-01-20  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

I just wanted to let the team know that the 'oldinst' worked like a
charm.  Thank you very much for adding this install option into the
ISO.  Now, I can update my P9 installs on the few machines I have that
had problems with the newer release.

David.

@ 2024-01-20  6:10                   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2024-01-20  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 08:21:18PM -0600, TheGrove wrote:
> Now, I can update my P9 installs on the few machines I have
> that had problems with the newer release.

Thank you for being grateful; a side note, you could just
dist-upgrade from p9 to p10 as well (and I should have
noted that last year!).

--
Michael Shigorin
http://altlinux.org/elbrus