ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] thanks (& a few ideas)
@ 2003-08-04 18:31 TARIK GANDUR
From: TARIK GANDUR @ 2003-08-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Thanks for your quick reply Egor,
I did not expected a so quick response ( so I found the first stregth of ALT
even befor trying it).
Im glad to hear that I can setup a system without 2nd cd. I do not need any
dev tools so I will use only the 1st one. But I have still 7 hours tiem of
download remaining :-(
When to partnership: here in Turkey we have a Turkish distro named Gelecek,
based on RH 7.3 and because it provides excellent Turkish Language and Win
Modem (which is widely used here) support it is the market leader  especially
in the busieness sector. (and also the linux market in Turkey is still to
little compared to other EU countries there is many personal users but they
do not want to pay for a distro because many of them are quite experts so
don't need any support- even if they need they know how to obtain it from the
net-). So I don't think that any company will want to invest on ALT than I
don't think that a  strategic partnership will be useful for Turkey . I'think
creating an international community site   will be much more useful but
unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge about site creation (for
Linuxturkey, the owner has setup everything so that the only think I do is to
log in as admin and post reviews, news etc with a few html codes. So once a
setup is created maintaining it (not talking about technical maintanace but
about the content) is not a problem for me so if anyone is interested about a
such project feel free to contact me)
   Even if a strategic partership seems to be useless can you mail me a brief
presentation of opportunities maybe I would find a way to help the project.
Finally I have a few ques abot the distro: Why the name ALT?
And once installed can I upgrade everything like Debian and Gentoo, in other
words when 2.3 will be available do I have to obtain a cd or an iso or typing
apt-get upgrade distro (or smt like this dont remember exactly) will be
sufficient to have the 2.3 (I'm asking that for my review :) )
Sincerely
Tarık Gandur

Hello!

 Thank you for your friendly attitude towards our distributions. I really
 hope that you will like Junior once you download and install it!

 >I m now downloading junior 2.2. I m impressed by all the reviews out there
 >about alt and sure by sisyphus. So I cant wait to try it. My question is:
can
 >I only download the first cd and make an installation with kde, apt with it
 >and the add the software that I want from sisyphus?

 You certainly can. The first ISO image of Junior contains everything
 (well, maybe almost everything) you need for the everyday home and
 office tasks. You will only need the second image of Junior if you
 intend to build & develop software yourself. But if you are going to use
 Sisyphus, I really doubt that you will ever need it.

 >Anathor question is about the popularity of the distro. All the reviews that
 >read were saying that Alt was one of the best distros out there. So why it
is
 >not so popular (Im talking about internation popularity) maybe it lacks a
 >well maintained international comunity? It is sad to see that a distribution
 >which recieves excelent reviews is not known by many linux users. By the way
 >after downloading it I plan to write  a review of it in turkish in
 >linuxturkey so maybe I can help a little to the formation of a larger
 >international community.

 Thank you, a review in Turkish is a great idea! And you are right: we do
 not yet have many people in our international community, even though we
 really deserve more popularity. Currently, our team is working on this
 problem, and you may expect every new distribution to be more
 'international' than the previous.

 We are also seriously considering all propositions for international
 partnership, so if any of our readers wishes to join our business and
 spread ALT Linux in his country/region, he is welcome to contact me.
 There are several possible partnership schemes, and I will be glad to
 send more details upon request.

 --
 -----------------*-
 Egor Grebnev

* Re: [Comm-en] thanks (& a few ideas)
@ 2003-08-06  9:10 ` Egor Grebnev
From: Egor Grebnev @ 2003-08-06  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Hello again!

>I did not expected a so quick response ( so I found the first stregth of ALT
>even befor trying it).

OK, I am sorry not to be so fast this time. :)

>When to partnership: here in Turkey we have a Turkish distro named Gelecek,
>based on RH 7.3 and because it provides excellent Turkish Language and Win
>Modem (which is widely used here) support it is the market leader  especially
>in the busieness sector.

As far as I know, we are doing quite well in Winmodem support as well.
As to Turkish language, we certainly can't compete with a local
distribution maker.

>I'think
>creating an international community site   will be much more useful but
>unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge about site creation (for
>Linuxturkey, the owner has setup everything so that the only think I do is to
>log in as admin and post reviews, news etc with a few html codes. So once a
>setup is created maintaining it (not talking about technical maintanace but
>about the content) is not a problem for me so if anyone is interested about a
>such project feel free to contact me)

OK, your recommendation is clear. Thanks.

>Finally I have a few ques abot the distro: Why the name ALT?

It's a recursive abbreviation: ALT Linux Team :)

>And once installed can I upgrade everything like Debian and Gentoo, in other
>words when 2.3 will be available do I have to obtain a cd or an iso or typing
>apt-get upgrade distro (or smt like this dont remember exactly) will be
>sufficient to have the 2.3 (I'm asking that for my review :) )

Yes, we usually do some testing to ensure that upgrading from one
version is possible. However, we are not sure that there will be a
Junior edition of 2.3. The upcoming ALT Linux 2.3 Compact will be
different from Junior as it will be a bit more streamlined and will have
less software choices (which is better for OEM).

But when ALT Linux 3.0 Junior is out, you will probably be able to
upgrade easily :)

--
 Egor Grebnev