ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Recover missing boot option in GRUB after upgrade
@ 2024-01-29  5:11 TheGrove
From: TheGrove @ 2024-01-29  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

Today I upgraded my p9 install to p10 via the command line (apt-repo set
p10 && apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade).  Everything performed
well and the upgrade completed successfully.  However, when I rebooted,
GRUB only displayed my p10 install (on /dev/sda1) but I lost my install
of Sisyphus (on /dev/sda5), which I recently installed to test the
'oldinst' option using image regular-lxqt-latest-x86_64.iso.

Although my main objective was to upgrade to p10, I would still like to
experiment with Sisyphus from time to time.  Is there an easy way for me
to recover the option in GRUB to boot into Sisyphus on /dev/sda5?

David.

--

---------- E-mail Encryption ----------
To send secure e-mails, you can find our PGP public key block here:

As of Feb-2024 all of our emails will be digitally "signed".  If you receive
an email that does not have our digital signature attached, there's a good
chance that it's not authentic and from us.
----------

* Re: [Comm-en] Recover missing boot option in GRUB after upgrade
@ 2024-01-29  5:47 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2024-01-29  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TheGrove; +Cc: ALT Linux

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 11:11:35PM -0600, TheGrove wrote:
> Although my main objective was to upgrade to p10, I would still like to
> experiment with Sisyphus from time to time.  Is there an easy way for me
> to recover the option in GRUB to boot into Sisyphus on /dev/sda5?

I'm not a GRUB expert (having not maintained it for many years
and never having really loved it), but:

1) is os-prober package installed on "stable" system"?
   (it *might* be related to non-Linux OS detection in dual-boot,
   in which case I'd dig for some discussions on "grub multiboot"
   or "grub dual-root" maybe)

2) there's a Russian ALT wiki page on the topic:
   http://altlinux.org/Grub#Как_установить/восстановить_загрузочную_запись_grub?

   "mount-system" is ALT Rescue specific script that
   basically finds a probable rootfs, mounts it as
   /mnt/system1 and bind-mounts the virtual FSes there:

   for i in proc sys dev; do mount --bind $i /mnt/system1/$i; done

   -- this can perfectly be done by hand from an already running
   system, of course :-) -- but the recipe results in *that* copy
   of grub installing its boot record/files/configs, potentially
   ignoring the other systems like what you observe currently.

If these don't help, well, let's think on.

PS: do backup *both* of your /boot directories just in case,
even if it's a simple "cp -a /boot /root".

--
Michael Shigorin
http://altlinux.org/elbrus