ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] information on ALT Linux in English
@ 2021-01-16 12:55 Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2021-01-16 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

	Hello guys,
I've been answering a query regarding helpful resources
that came through BaseALT company contact and thought
the list to be worth posting here:

---
There's a pretty minimal http://en.altlinux.org wiki and
a way more extensive http://ru.altlinux.org one -- maybe these
help a bit; there's also a (pretty quiet) English-speaking ML:
and a Telegram channel of guys from Brasil (they speak English
too, maybe it's the only non-Russian channel by now):
http://t.me/alt_linuxBR; there's #altlinux-en on freenode
but it seems even more quiet than community-en@.

PS: maybe you'll find this intro book useful:
http://altlinux.org/Books:Insideout ->
http://heap.altlinux.org/alt-docs/compactbook/index.html
(in Russian but should be autotranslateable)
---

Ah, and we've finally created a sort of download centre site:
http://getalt.org -- so it should be easier to find an image;
http://distrowatch.com/alt has release announcements as well
as helpful hints in some reviews, like this one:

---
The download is 4.3G and will default to Russian. F2 after
booting the live medium enables the English install option.
---

You're welcome to participate in both community and the team,
there were precedents already even if we understand that it's
not that easy to participate in a Russian-speaking project
while not reading the language; some folks are even willing
to learn it during these last years, maybe this can help:
http://learnrussian.rt.com/lessons/

There's no English section on http://forum.altlinux.org
at the moment but it's not a problem to create one
for those interested.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

* Re: [Comm-en] information on ALT Linux in English
  @ 2021-01-16 16:58   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2021-01-16 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 02:04:37PM +0100, Jozsef K. wrote:
> By the way, I studied Russian in the school for 7 years, even
> worked in Russian companies, and I do speak English as well.
> The only problem is that I don't have a job now and I have
> a family to support...

Not sure about the borders now but maybe consider coming here
or working remotely?  I'm not much of a help regarding jobs
outside Russia but right now I'm looking for another colleague
to help with porting to ELbrus (http://altlinux.org/ports/e2k)
and there are other positions open as well.

Just in case, one of the job sites here is http://hh.ru;
haven't dealt with freelance sites (only with the guys
I knew already anyways), my understanding is that it's
not that fast/reliable a path anyways.

If I could figure out the way to pay, I could probably
offer some sort of "small jobs" (mostly fixing C++ code).