ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] OpenSSH problems with X11 forwarding
@ 2009-04-24 19:02 Virtual Sky Solutions
From: Virtual Sky Solutions @ 2009-04-24 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

I'm trying to get X11 remote desktop forwarding working on my ALT 4.1 desktop and my server.

My server is using SSH and my ALT desktop is using OpenSSH.

When I use X11 forwarding with XPDF (on my server) and it seems to work just fine.  However, when I try to run a web browser (like Firefox or Seamonkey), OpenSSH seems to lose connection soon after the browser is launched.  The only way to recover (or reset the connection) is by shutting down the terminal session I used to connect to my server.

When I try to do the same thing with a PC running Mandriva 2008.1, everything seems to work fine no matter what application I try to run remotely.  The Mandriva box uses SSH.  So, I'm assuming it's an issue with OpenSSH.

When I connect to my server, I use the command "ssh -Y username@ipaddress"

Any ideas what is causing this problem and how I can fix it?

David.

* Re: [Comm-en] OpenSSH problems with X11 forwarding
@ 2009-04-25 19:48 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2009-04-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:02:26PM -0600, Virtual Sky Solutions wrote:
> I'm trying to get X11 remote desktop forwarding working on my
> ALT 4.1 desktop and my server.

Works for me.

> My server is using SSH and my ALT desktop is using OpenSSH.

How do you know what is used on server?  Is it commercial SSH?

> When I try to do the same thing with a PC running Mandriva
> 2008.1, everything seems to work fine no matter what
> application I try to run remotely.  The Mandriva box uses SSH.

Again, how do you know? (ssh -v might suffice)

> When I connect to my server, I use the command "ssh -Y username@ipaddress"

Correct, -Y is the current way to get all of X11 through
(including untrusted bits).

I'd try ssh -vv -Y username@ipaddress first.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>