ALT Linux users (in English only)
* Re: [Comm-en] Installing Local Packages?
  @ 2005-09-04  5:46 ` Egor Grebnev
From: Egor Grebnev @ 2005-09-04  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

You should log in as root to install packages.

However, if the driver comes from some other source than ALT Linux
repository, it will most likely fail to work even if you install the
package.

What kind of modem do you have?

@ 2005-09-04 16:02 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2005-09-04 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:51:11PM -0400, Rachel Ramey wrote:
> (The file is my modem driver, so I can't even get online from
> there to download repositories or ask for help!)

You might want to get Compact 2.3 which included much more
softmodem drivers out-of-box.

Could you save the output of

lspci | grep -i modem

and paste it here?

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>
 ----       visit our conference (Oct 1):

* Re: [Comm-en] Installing Local Packages?
@ 2005-09-04 21:13   ` Rachel Ramey
From: Rachel Ramey @ 2005-09-04 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a Conexant modem.  It appears that ALT installed a Linuxant driver,
but it wasn't the correct one.  My modem *says* it's an hsf modem, but it
actually requires an hcf driver: hcfpcimodem-1.05full-1.rpm.  The distro
seems to have installed the hsf driver, which makes sense, but still doesn't
work. :)

Be blessed!
~Rachel Ramey<><
http://www.homeworksbest.net

@ 2005-09-05  5:33     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2005-09-05  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 05:13:16PM -0400, Rachel Ramey wrote:
> I have a Conexant modem.  It appears that ALT installed a
> Linuxant driver, but it wasn't the correct one.  My modem
> *says* it's an hsf modem, but it actually requires an hcf
> driver: hcfpcimodem-1.05full-1.rpm.

How "actually"?  AFAIH these are quite distinct drivers.

> The distro seems to have installed the hsf driver, which makes
> sense, but still doesn't work. :)

lspci, sir, lspci! :)

--

@ 2005-09-05 15:47       ` Rachel Ramey
From: Rachel Ramey @ 2005-09-05 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<> On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 05:13:16PM -0400, Rachel Ramey wrote:
> > I have a Conexant modem.  It appears that ALT installed a
> > Linuxant driver, but it wasn't the correct one.  My modem
> > *says* it's an hsf modem, but it actually requires an hcf
> > driver: hcfpcimodem-1.05full-1.rpm.
>
> How "actually"?  AFAIH these are quite distinct drivers.>>

>From the Linuxant website:

"The following modem devices are recognized by the driver:
HSF/HSFi (Standard and SmartDAA)....
PCI ID {127A,14F1}:{1025,1085,2005} (if it doesn't work, try HCF driver) "

"The following PCI modem devices are recognized by the hcfpcimodem driver:
PCI ID {127A,14F1}:{1025,1085,2005} (if it doesn't work, try HSF driver) "

"My modem's PCI ID is 127a:1025 or 127a:2005 and it doesn't work.
You probably should try both the HCF and HSF drivers, until one works. Some
early modems are incorrectly identified (HCF as HSF and vice-versa) in some
versions of the PCI ID lists used by lspci and the linux kernel. Also, a few
modem vendors have tried to save costs by omitting the EEPROM where device
IDs are stored, causing the same default ID built into the bus interface
chip to be used for both HCF and HSF devices."

My modem is a 14F1; 2005.  I tried the lspci command as instructed
yesterday, and it did not produce anything; not even an error message.  I'm
pretty new to Linux and don't understand all the command codes yet, so
suggestions for alternate ways of entering the lspci command would be
appreciated. :) I have some information jotted down already from trying to
set up the modem on the last distro I tried; perhaps some of it is the same
information?

Be blessed!
~Rachel Ramey<><
http://www.homeworksbest.net

* Re: [Comm-en] Installing Local Packages?
@ 2005-09-14 18:58         ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2005-09-14 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 11:47:34AM -0400, Rachel Ramey wrote:
> My modem is a 14F1; 2005.  I tried the lspci command as
> instructed yesterday, and it did not produce anything; not even
> an error message.  I'm pretty new to Linux and don't understand
> all the command codes yet, so suggestions for alternate ways of
> entering the lspci command would be appreciated. :) I have some
> information jotted down already from trying to set up the modem
> on the last distro I tried; perhaps some of it is the same
> information?

(sorry for late reply -- not much experience with softmodems on
my part, the one in notebook Just Worked, so hoped someone
knowing Conexant ones better would answer)

You could just paste or write down/retype the output of

lspci | grep Comm

PS regarding the original question, seems everything should be
already in place in case of Compact/Junior 2.3 and up; and FYI:
installing downloaded binary kernel packages is somewhat tricky
in that they are inherently incompatible with kernels other than
exactly the ones they were compiled for (well.... this is a bit
overstated but quirks to get a binary module to work with given
binary kernel in general case are just that -- quirks).