ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Re: Community-en Digest, Vol 16, Issue 1
  @ 2004-09-10 21:18 ` D&J Bouley
From: D&J Bouley @ 2004-09-10 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Hello, Michael, and anyone else who may be reading.

To help further clarify the situation, the repositories selected are the
defaults:

ftp://ftp.altlinux.com/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Compact/2.3/
ftp://updates.altlinux.com/
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/altlinux/updates/
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/linux/altlinux/updates/

That's all I see selected in the table.

These requested updates that Synaptic wanted to do came right after I
installed Compact 2.3 on my system and did the first "check for updates."

The reason I ask about the Junior 2.3 repository is that there's not much in
extra applications available in the Compact repositories.  In order to get my
HP 3-in-1 printer working I had to add the "Classic" repository to find the
hpoj and hpijs drivers.

There's also other apps that I have become partial to (like BlueFish, GFTP,
and others) that are also not in the Compact 2.3 repositories.

As I've mentioned before, I know taking apps from other repositories is
hazardous and I'd much rather find them in repositories made for
Compact/Junior 2.3 if available.

David.

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:14:16 +0300
> From: Michael Shigorin <mike@osdn.org.ua>
> Subject: Re: [Comm-en] New Compact 2.3 - 20040903 ISO
> To: community-en@altlinux.org
>
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:53:51PM -0600, D&J Bouley wrote:
> > Okay, I just installed the beta for the English build of
> > Compact 2.3 and I have a couple of questions regarding
> > Synaptic.
>
> Ugh.  I'm completely uninformed about such special build -- could
> you point me to the download?
>
> (if it was ftp://beta.altlinux.org then I see only Master 2.4
> beta5 dated 2004-07-28 there, and that's quite another story)
>
> > First of all, right after I installed the OS, Synaptic wants to
> > carry out the following updates:
>
> What repos are enabled in repository list?
>
> > I've done this once before (with the earlier version of
> > Compact) and it left me with a broken KDE.  Do these updates
> > seems safe enough to carry out?  Am I going to be left with a
> > non-functional KDE desktop again?
>
> Well if I remember correctly, last time you've got to Sisyphus
> (unstable) repository, and that can be a scary territory to walk
> for the first time (should be a test system).
>
> Please clarify the question above -- maybe it's enough to add
> "Contribs 2.3" to your repository list (basically it's finding a
> record with "... Compact/2.3 ALTLinux main" and just adding
> " contrib" at the end of the line, so that it is like this:
>
> rpm [alt] ftp://ftp.altlinux.com/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Compact/2.3
> ALTLinux main contrib
>
> (whether in Synaptic menu or directly in /etc/apt/sources.list,
> doesn't matter)
>
> and "Update" in synaptic or apt-get update in the terminal.
>
> > Next: I'm told that the new Compact 2.3 is compatible with the
> > new packages release for Junior 2.3.  All I have to do is add
> > the Junior 2.3 repository to my Synaptic preferences.  Can
> > anyone tell me what the URL is for the new Junior 2.3
> > application listing?
>
> It should be (and may be beneficial with bugfixes), but I don't
> see ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Junior/2.3
> yet.
>
> OTOH critical things are already in "updates", and most other
> things build together with the main Compact's package base are
> available in Contrib so that you don't have to jump over half a
> year of software (versions, dependencies, ...) changes.

* Re: [Comm-en] Re: Community-en Digest, Vol 16, Issue 1
@ 2004-09-11 14:50   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2004-09-11 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 03:18:14PM -0600, D&J Bouley wrote:
> To help further clarify the situation, the repositories
> selected are the defaults:
> ftp://ftp.altlinux.com/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Compact/2.3/
> ftp://updates.altlinux.com/
> ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/altlinux/updates/
> ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/linux/altlinux/updates/
> That's all I see selected in the table.
> These requested updates that Synaptic wanted to do came right
> after I installed Compact 2.3 on my system and did the first
> "check for updates."

Ugh.  Maybe getting mirrors off the list to minimize the
potential packagelist mixup possibility and leaving
*.altlinux.com would helpdetermine whether the updates are broken
(inconsistent with what came with Compact in terms of changing
the package set dependencies) or just mirrors somehow lagging.

> The reason I ask about the Junior 2.3 repository is that
> there's not much in extra applications available in the Compact
> repositories.

Yep.  But that's exactly its purpose -- not to overwhelm. :)

> In order to get my HP 3-in-1 printer working I had to add the
> "Classic" repository to find the hpoj and hpijs drivers.

Ouch!  Not "Classic" but "Sisyphus/classic"!  And "Sisyphus"
means "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!" :-)

Contrib is the rest of Sisyphus snapshot when Compact was branched
off for release stabilization.  So it may not have the newest
software (with its changed dependencies and new bugs) but it is
compatible with Compact in terms of library base, etc.

> There's also other apps that I have become partial to (like
> BlueFish, GFTP, and others) that are also not in the Compact
> 2.3 repositories.

They are, but there are just more repos. :)

> As I've mentioned before, I know taking apps from other
> repositories is hazardous and I'd much rather find them in
> repositories made for Compact/Junior 2.3 if available.

Well, so try the instructions in my previous message to hook up
the contribs -- hope you'll enjoy that; but Synaptic *will* get
slower with those 4564 more packages joining mere 902 of Compact
:-)

PS: in fact, we're trying to establish a list for people who do
package backports from current development branch back to (older)
releases they use in production (there are Master 2.0 systems
being supported); if anyone here ever gets inclined, contact me
to consider making English the official language of that list.

"Gets inclined" presumes "uses unstable branch being sort of
seasoned user/developer and also has some quantity of systems in
production running stable releases where users or the
administrator may benefit from those backports".

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>