ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Control Centre "Bug"
@ 2003-12-27 17:35 djbouley
From: djbouley @ 2003-12-27 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux Community

Just wanted to mention a little "bug" I found recently with the ALT Linux
Control Centre app. (either it's a bug, or I just couldn't figure out how to
do what I wanted to do).

I bought a new mouse for our PC this week and was just setting up the new
configuration for it using the ALT Control Centre.  When I first changed the
mouse settings to the new configuration all seemed to work fine, until I
logged off the session.

When I logged back in later, the mouse didn't work.  I obviously didn't choose
the proper configuration.  Not a problem, because I knew my keyboard command
well enough to move about the desktop and got the Control Centre up again.
However, when I tried to maneuver to the Hardware Settings, I could not
scroll down to select the Mouse Setup (using the cursor keys on the
keyboard).  I could only expand the Hardware Settings drop down menu and
nothing more.

Has the new release of ALT Compact worked out some of the bugs with the
Control Centre functions?  If not, it may be something the development team
will want to look at and address.

David.

(o_
//\
\/_/  E-mail powered by Linux
======

* Re: [Comm-en] Control Centre "Bug"
@ 2003-12-27 17:48 ` Egor Grebnev
From: Egor Grebnev @ 2003-12-27 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

David,

Actually, the question of Control Center (more exactly, the old set of
configuration utilities inherited from Mandrake) is one of the most
important for us. We are in process of replacing these legacy utilities
with a new set of ALT-specific utilities, which are under development
now. We had a choice of either put development efforts on supporting the
old configuration tools or on creating our own, better (for us) and more
prospective ones. We've chosen the latter, and we hope that you will be
able to see our progress somewhere by the next release.

Unfortunately, this release will not be Compact :(

Regarding your problem, I have a suggestion. It is just a workaround,
and it doesn't fix the essence of the problem, but it should help. Press
Alt + Shift + NumLock during your X session, and you will be able to
manipulate the mouse cursor with the numpad keys. You should be able to
choose the proper configuration option for your mouse this way.

By the way, mice support is going to be improved heavily very soon as
well :)

--
-----------------*-
Egor Grebnev

* Re: [Comm-en] Control Centre "Bug"
@ 2003-12-27 17:50 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-12-27 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux Community

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 11:35:51AM -0600, djbouley wrote:
> Has the new release of ALT Compact worked out some of the bugs
> with the Control Centre functions?

I doubt. :-(

> If not, it may be something the development team will want to
> look at and address.

Sure.  Every aspect of the installer and configuration tools is
redone from scratch since only fixing these ones takes way too
much time, and curing them from being fundamentally broken is
harder than rewriting.

It's already in progress, so hope that next major release will be
based on proper tools.

You can share (and "log") the thoughts regarding what it should
be as feature requests (bugs with severity==enhancement) here:

http://bugzilla.altlinux.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=1.%20Sisyphus

Thanks and happy New Year and Christmas to all! :-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>