ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] [JT]  international community site
  @ 2003-08-13 10:40 ` vadim
From: vadim @ 2003-08-13 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

>> And this should be easily repairable - just set up the (server and forum)
>So go ahead and do it.

Ergh... Who will pay for bandwidth? I am not even a system administrator.
Just plain "PhD in bilology". The maximum what I can do myself  seems to
be a moderator in such forum.

Of course, I *can* try to speak to our Institute sys.admin about letting me
run the "Linux for scientists" forum. Our IP's are "real". But most likely I will
fail. Maybe not, don't know - till mid-Semptember, when our Institute will
held the Sci.Council to discuss the WWW site design etc... Maybe there will
be the place for such forum on the server.

>It's a bit harder to make it *really* work -- not technically, but as a
*resource*.
>rare person able to answer the question will ever *see* it there

It's a moderator's work, as far as I do understand it. Strict moderation,
unregistered users can post only in special places... no "flame/flood/offtopic"
section...

> PS: I believe you could try to help Alexey Lubimov (avl@altlinux)
> with developing "public question" part of atmsk.ru forum.  And it

Could you drop a couple of words - what should be done? Translation of
some text to English, or what?

* Re: [Comm-en] [JT]  international community site
@ 2003-08-13 11:30   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-08-13 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vadim; +Cc: community-en

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:40:29PM +0400, vadim@mail.cytspb.rssi.ru wrote:
> >> And this should be easily repairable - just set up the (server and forum)
> >So go ahead and do it.
> Ergh... Who will pay for bandwidth?

I believe that useful resource can be hosted at ALT servers; in
fact, they do provide hosting for significant number of free
software projects.

> I am not even a system administrator.  Just plain "PhD in
> bilology". The maximum what I can do myself  seems to be a
> moderator in such forum.

It could be of some help, too.  Not everything boils down to
system administration and technical resources.

> > It's a bit harder to make it *really* work -- not
> > technically, but as a *resource*.  rare person able to answer
> > the question will ever *see* it there
> It's a moderator's work, as far as I do understand it.

Nope.

> Strict moderation, unregistered users can post only in special
> places...

This helps only to decrease the noise, but not to increase the
signal.

> no "flame/flood/offtopic" section...

It's a mistake IMQCO.

> > PS: I believe you could try to help Alexey Lubimov
> > (avl@altlinux) with developing "public question" part of
> > atmsk.ru forum.
> Could you drop a couple of words - what should be done?
> Translation of some text to English, or what?

Speak to him regarding that.  He's busy reworking the site,
though personally /me is more than happy with current state.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>