ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Followup AltJr2.2 dual boot with Mdk 9.1
@ 2003-07-12 17:34 tama4
From: tama4 @ 2003-07-12 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Michael, just a follow up to the problems posted earlier with the
attempt at a dual boot with a user of Mandrake 9.1:

"Chadd, thanks for following up. I have a GeForce FX 5200 which is
relatively new and probably the source of the problem. Re the install
aborting, what actually happened is I would get the popup window
reporting the no XFree rpm and asking if I wanted to try again or abort.
I retried several times and kept getting the same error message so I
finally aborted. Tried reinstalling again and this time made a boot
floppy. Got the same result re configuring X, aborted, and rebooted with
the floppy to a command line. Was able to install XFree using either
apt-get or urpmi, can't recall which. I ran XFdrake which worked but I
was unable to configure a working X configuration. Tried installing the
nvidia drivers but apparently the kernel sources are not included on the
alt linux cds. Got an error message re no binutils so the nvidia driver
program was unable to compile the kernel. Tried installing binutils with
both urpmi and apt-get, but no dice, the package was not found and
apparently it's not on the install cds or otherwise available.
Re the lilo problem, I beleive i was getting the same error messages
when I would try to restore mandrake's lilo that I would get if I tried
to restore mdk 9.1 lilo using an mdk 9.0 install cd1. That's what I
meant by the rescue program's confusion. I think it sees the alt linux
install as a new mandrake install and refuses to load the mdk9.1 lilo.
Was able to bail out like I did last time and get back to mdk9.1 lilo.
If you wish to pass this info on, feel free to do so if you beleive it
would be of help to others. Thanks for your interest and concern."

* Re: [Comm-en] Followup AltJr2.2 dual boot with Mdk 9.1
@ 2003-07-12 18:08 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-07-12 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 11:34:53AM -0600, tama4 wrote:
> Michael, just a follow up to the problems posted earlier with the
> attempt at a dual boot with a user of Mandrake 9.1:

Thanks.

> "Chadd, thanks for following up. I have a GeForce FX 5200 which
> is relatively new and probably the source of the problem.

Definitely.

> Re the install aborting, what actually happened is I would get
> the popup window reporting the no XFree rpm and asking if I
> wanted to try again or abort.

It was observed in exactly that case, that's why I suspected it.

> I retried several times and kept getting the same error message
> so I finally aborted.

Yep.  It just didn't hold the card for being "supported by nvidia
(or any other known) driver".

_Probably_ trying to hand-pick some other nvidia card could do,
but that's a hassle that shouldn't.

> Was able to install XFree using either apt-get or urpmi, can't
> recall which. I ran XFdrake which worked but I was unable to
> configure a working X configuration.

Due to the same missing PCI ID -> driver info.

> Tried installing the nvidia drivers but apparently the kernel
> sources are not included on the alt linux cds.

Well they aren't needed -- nvidia drivers are already there
(NVIDIA_*i586.rpm)

> Got an error message re no binutils so the nvidia driver
> program was unable to compile the kernel.

Sure.  But again, it was _already_ included precompiled :)

> Tried installing binutils with both urpmi and apt-get, but no
> dice, the package was not found and apparently it's not on the
> install cds or otherwise available.

Yes, these are available on CD2 which can be downoaded when
needed.

> Re the lilo problem, I beleive i was getting the same error
> messages when I would try to restore mandrake's lilo that I
> would get if I tried to restore mdk 9.1 lilo using an mdk 9.0
> install cd1.

Ugh.  These usually need more robust information, and it's
somewhat hard to collect in place too.  Multi-distro is somewhat
advanced topic anyways =)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>

* Re: [Comm-en] Followup AltJr2.2 dual boot with Mdk 9.1
@ 2003-07-12 18:29   ` tama4
From: tama4 @ 2003-07-12 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Michael,
Thanks for the quick reply. I just did a dual distro setup with Alt and
9.1 and had no problem. They seem to get along fine with my setup.

Michael Shigorin wrote:

>On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 11:34:53AM -0600, tama4 wrote:
>

>>Michael, just a follow up to the problems posted earlier with the
>>attempt at a dual boot with a user of Mandrake 9.1:
>>

>Thanks.
>

>>"Chadd, thanks for following up. I have a GeForce FX 5200 which
>>is relatively new and probably the source of the problem.
>>

>Definitely.
>

>Ugh.  These usually need more robust information, and it's
>somewhat hard to collect in place too.  Multi-distro is somewhat
>advanced topic anyways =)

Posted your complete reply to the form www.mandrakeusers.org .
Thanks again.
chad

* Re: [Comm-en] Followup AltJr2.2 dual boot with Mdk 9.1
@ 2003-07-14  6:42     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-07-14  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 12:29:07PM -0600, tama4 wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.

Got some spare time that evening :)

Usual effect is that if something isn't answered immediately it
goes to "batch queue" which can have a long wait..........

> I just did a dual distro setup with Alt and 9.1 and had no
> problem. They seem to get along fine with my setup.

Hmm.  Strange :-) (actually "that's how it should be" :)

> >Ugh.  These usually need more robust information, and it's
> Posted your complete reply to the form www.mandrakeusers.org .

Thanks for concern :-)

Could you post that URL here, then?

--

@ 2003-07-14 16:52       ` Chad
From: Chad @ 2003-07-14 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

>Could you post that URL here, then?

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6324

* Re: [Comm-en] Followup AltJr2.2 dual boot with Mdk 9.1
@ 2003-07-14 18:43         ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-07-14 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:52:33AM -0600, Chad wrote:
> >Could you post that URL here, then?
> http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6324

So posted some comments there myself.

--