ALT Linux users (in English only)
* Re: [Comm-en] Windowmaker
  @ 2003-07-10  8:39 ` Alexandre Prokoudine
From: Alexandre Prokoudine @ 2003-07-10  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

djbouley wrote
> Lately I noticed that Junior 2.2 includes the window manager, Window Maker
> v0.81.0, with the distribution.  After visiting the Window Maker web site, I
> saw that the only version of WM avaiable for downloading was v0.80.1
>
> Can anyone tell me if this version of WM is a special version that only comes
> with Junior 2.2?  Did the ALT development team make advancements with WM that
> are not available with other distros?
>
> If so, I'm an exclusive Window Maker user and really appreciate having the
> more advanced version on my Linux PC.

It is a known mistake in version definition in WindowMaker itself.
The name of the packages is still WindowMaker-0.80.2-alt7.i586.rpm

:-)

--
Alexandre Prokoudine
ALT Linux Documentation Team

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 481 bytes --]

* Re: [Comm-en] Windowmaker
@ 2003-07-10  8:57 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-07-10  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en; +Cc: voins

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:00:03PM -0600, djbouley wrote:
> Lately I noticed that Junior 2.2 includes the window manager,
> Window Maker v0.81.0, with the distribution.

Wow.  I see only WindowMaker-0.80.2-alt7.i586.rpm there!

> After visiting the Window Maker web site, I saw that the only
> version of WM avaiable for downloading was v0.80.1

Well so the site lags:
ftp://ftp.windowmaker.org/pub/source/release/WindowMaker-0.80.2.tar.bz2

Regarding unstable branch (Sisyphus), our WM maintainer
participates in WM development so he can judge when pulling from
CVS is OK and prescripted :-)

> Can anyone tell me if this version of WM is a special version
> that only comes with Junior 2.2?  Did the ALT development team
> make advancements with WM that are not available with other
> distros?

Yes -- at least it's quite a tasty build (with say single-click
option and hotkeys which can be bound to icons, and interesting
though somewhat beta virtual "background space" support -- can't
describe exactly, but looks like you have static clip/dock/menus
and if some windows are partially off-screen, you can "slide"
over them and the whole set of windows on this exact virtual
desktop will shift).

> If so, I'm an exclusive Window Maker user and really appreciate
> having the more advanced version on my Linux PC.

So then you've got it :-)

GNUstep and WM fans make a considerable amount of team members:
http://www.altlinux.com/index.php?module=sisyphus&group=Graphical%20desktop%2FWindow%20Maker
:-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>