ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] First encounter - problems and questions (longish)
@ 2003-04-26 14:10 Vahur Lokk
From: Vahur Lokk @ 2003-04-26 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Hello!

I have been using Mandrake since 8.0 for home and business and am still quite
a newbie. I am currently testing Junior 2.2 for business purposes as I need
decent cyrillic support.
Installed ALTLinux to my home machine as a third OS (Mandrake9.1 and
Win98being already there). Linuxes share a common /boot and /home
directories.
First installation ended in a mess - Mdk and ALT seem to use different UID
scheme and home folders my four users were messed up. While repairing it I
somehow succeeded in blowing both installations completely  :)
Reinstall. Junior installed OK, but before proceeding with Mandrake I decided
to fine-tune ALT first. There are quite many questions and problems:

1. Konqueror dies. It starts up, works fine as a browser, but trying to use it
for file manager - it shows folder and its content for half a
second and then crashes. I get following message:

libpng warning: Incomplete compressed datastream in iCCP chunk
libpng warning: Profile size field missing from iCCP chunk
mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
/home/wahur/tmp/mcop-wahur is accessible owned by user
zone still contained 7 blocks

I guess the reason might be that ownership of some kde files and folders in my
home directory is still messed up (some of them now belong to my wife :)) ).
But I cannot change the ownership back also! Any other solution except for
uninstall KDE-delete all folders-reinstall KDE routine?

2. KPatience has no cards. This is by far the most dangerous flaw - my wife
loves the game ;-) Situation is absolutely critical! Damn the konq but I need
those cards fast.

*** tuxracer error: Can't find the tuxracer data directory.  Please check the
value of `data_dir' in ~/.tuxracer/options and set it to the location where
you installed the tuxracer-data files.

Couldn't chdir to /usr/share/tuxracer/ (No such file or directory)

Another critical flaw - this brings angry kids on me!

4. Package management. Installation procedure used only first CD. But synaptic
does not acknowledge CDs as an installation source at all. How can I set CD
(or any other local folder) as a source for synaptic? I never install from
net because of very slow connection!

5. Do you have fluxbox available anywhere? KDE is good for kids and wife, I am
more like Fluxbox+ROX guy myself.

6. This Eng-Rus dictionary, wish, does nothing else but eats 99% of CPU but
never starts. I thought it might be really nice to have.

7. OpenOffice menu fonts look ugly like death. Document fonts are OK.

Thanks for all who reached this far. Thanks for any help. Answers can be in
Russianas well, I can read it (though I rather would not write).

Wahur

* Re: [Comm-en] First encounter - problems and questions (longish)
@ 2003-04-27  7:53 ` Vitaly Lipatov
From: Vitaly Lipatov @ 2003-04-27  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On 26 Апрель 2003 18:10, Vahur Lokk wrote:
> 4. Package management. Installation procedure used only first
> CD. But synaptic does not acknowledge CDs as an installation
> source at all. How can I set CD (or any other local folder) as
> a source for synaptic? I never install from net because of
> very slow connection!
# apt-cdrom add

> 6. This Eng-Rus dictionary, wish, does nothing else but eats
> 99% of CPU but never starts. I thought it might be really nice
> to have.
It is a bug. Please select any word by mouse before mova (wish)
starts.

> 7. OpenOffice menu fonts look ugly like death. Document fonts
> are OK.
Check Font Replacement in Tools->Options menu.

--
Lav
Виталий Липатов

* Re: [Comm-en] First encounter - problems and questions (longish)
@ 2003-04-27 13:36   ` Vahur Lokk
From: Vahur Lokk @ 2003-04-27 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Vitaly Lipatov wrote:

> # apt-cdrom add
Good. Never worked with apt before. Need to do more reading.

>>7. OpenOffice menu fonts look ugly like death. Document fonts
>>are OK.
> Check Font Replacement in Tools->Options menu.
Tried to change Andale Sans UI with other fonts. No use. Actually I
would not even bother if not for the huge contrast between beautiful
antialiased fonts everywhere else and staircase-looking uglies in OOo
interface.

One more problem. I use Estonian keyboard. Control Center allows to set
Estonian keyboard, but this seems to apply only in some apps not
globally. What is the problem?

@ 2003-04-29 17:14 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-04-29 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 05:10:53PM +0300, Vahur Lokk wrote:
> Linuxes share a common /boot and /home directories.
> First installation ended in a mess - Mdk and ALT seem to use
> different UID scheme and home folders my four users were messed
> up. While repairing it I somehow succeeded in blowing both
> installations completely  :)

Could be off-by-one -- ALT begins with 501, Mdk could begin with
say 500.

That's workaroundable btw, you just create a "dummy" user "slot"
on ALT which would consume UID == 500 :)

> *** tuxracer error: Can't find the tuxracer data directory.  Please check the
> value of `data_dir' in ~/.tuxracer/options and set it to the location where
> you installed the tuxracer-data files.
>
> Couldn't chdir to /usr/share/tuxracer/ (No such file or directory)
>
> Another critical flaw - this brings angry kids on me!

Ooops, looks like real bug 8-|

I've got the following in its options file:

set data_dir "/usr/share/games/tuxracer"

but never added it there.

Removing ~/.tuxracer and re-running the game resulted in working
environment, and the version of the software didn't change.

Could it be Mdk's ~/.tuxracer/options? (seems yes, hmm... you
could do a symlink from say /usr/share/games/tuxracer to
/usr/share tuxracer or vice versa?)

> 5. Do you have fluxbox available anywhere? KDE is good for kids
> and wife, I am more like Fluxbox+ROX guy myself.

Ues, in ALM2.2; you could add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

rpm [alt] ftp://ftp.altlinux.org.ua/pub/Linux/ALT Master/2.2/ALTLinux main
rpm-src [alt] ftp://ftp.altlinux.org.ua/pub/Linux/ALT Master/2.2/ALTLinux main

then run "apt-get update" (or via Synaptic) and you can install
packages from that one :-)

> 7. OpenOffice menu fonts look ugly like death. Document fonts are OK.

Ugh.  Could you look at http://openoffice.ru/?module=faq (in
Russian)?  Seems that it covers this issue.

You could also do

apt-get install cabextract
rpm -ivh ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Sisyphus/files/i586/RPMS.non-free/ms-ttf-1.0-alt5.noarch.rpm

which should instal corefonts on your system.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>

* Re: [Comm-en] First encounter - problems and questions (longish)
@ 2003-04-30 14:39   ` Vahur Lokk
From: Vahur Lokk @ 2003-04-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 20:14, Michael Shigorin wrote:

> Could be off-by-one -- ALT begins with 501, Mdk could begin
> with say 500.
Exactly. What a mess it was :(
I guess my KDE troubles come from the same source.

> Removing ~/.tuxracer and re-running the game resulted in
> working environment, and the version of the software didn't
> change.
>
> Could it be Mdk's ~/.tuxracer/options? (seems yes, hmm... you
> could do a symlink from say /usr/share/games/tuxracer to
> /usr/share tuxracer or vice versa?)
Sounds reasonable. I will try, unless I go for more radical
solution.

More radical solution would be to create different home folders
and symlink mail and personal data from one to another. But I
am not sure if I want to repartition everything. Would be lots
of trouble.

Wahur
BTW, is it a big sin to send a non cyrillic mail to
community-list? I can read and mostly write russian but typing
is just too much pain - just tried it and gave up after
20minutes/4 strokes of mail ;-)

* Re: [Comm-en] First encounter - problems and questions (longish)
@ 2003-05-02 13:30     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-05-02 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 05:39:51PM +0300, Vahur Lokk wrote:
> More radical solution would be to create different home folders
> and symlink mail and personal data from one to another. But I
> am not sure if I want to repartition everything. Would be lots
> of trouble.

Umm... smells like overkill. :)

> BTW, is it a big sin to send a non cyrillic mail to
> community-list? I can read and mostly write russian but typing
> is just too much pain - just tried it and gave up after
> 20minutes/4 strokes of mail ;-)

Well, so explain/ask there or just come and try :)  I believe
noone sane will complain.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>