ALT Linux users (in English only)
* Re: [Comm-en] *** Newbie Question re: file sharing ***
  @ 2003-04-24 21:43 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2003-04-24 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:56:31AM -0700, JT wrote:
> My question is related to file sharing within a single
> workstation (and eventually across a lan). I have files I would
> like to be able to share among all users and also some that I
> would like restricted to just a few users. What do I need to
> set this up?

Traditionally, /tmp directory is such a place.  But take into
account that a week-old (not accessed) files would get
autocleaned from it.

You can create a special directory where you like and do
chmod 1777 /that/dir
to let everyone write there but not delete others' files.

> When selecting Control Center - Network - File Sharing - Admin
> Mode, I am told that SMB and NFS servers are not installed on
> this machine, they must be installed.

It's all about network :-)  So not needed for now.  When needed,
SMB (samba server) will be for you.

Good luck!

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-04-24 21:43 UTC | newest]