Linux console tools development discussion
From: Sébastien <eichi237@mailoo.org>
To: kbd@lists.altlinux.org
Subject: [kbd]  Include Bépo in the set of default layouts
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 22:53:09 +0200

Hi,

I’m french (sorry if I do some mistakes), and I’m using the Bépo keyboard
layout. It’s a popular Dvorak-like French-optimized keyboard layout. Some
reasons to include it:

– Bépo layout is popular, see the number of people registered on our forum:
http://forum.bepo.fr/userlist.php (if we don’t count people with 0 messages
posted, 33 + 50 × 8 = 433), or on Linuxfr.org:
https://linuxfr.org/sondages/la-disposition-b%C3%A9po%E2%80%A6 (203 people
claims that they use Bépo, 114 wants to use it and 443 says “maybe one day”).
Some of this people created Ergodis, an association to promote Bépo (but not
only).

– physical Bépo keyboards. How to install a distro if we can’t use our
keyboard? (http://typematrix.com/bepo.php and http://www.ceciaa.com/clavier-ergoneos-fort-contraste-disposition-bepo-c2391-7.php for example).

– Bépo isn’t available on some distributions, so it’s not easy to install it,
especially for “noobs”. Bépo directly in kbd means no maintenance problems for
distributions and unified and simple solution to the problem.

– Bépo layout won’t evolve anymore (instead, we want to do a new (perfect?)
keyboard layout for the (far?) future). It means no maintenance burden for
you. Also, it’s less than 85 KiB (licences included)

So, what do you think about this idea?

Best,