ALT Linux kernel packages development
* [d-kernel] [Fwd: [Unionfs] Unionfs 1.0.9]
@ 2005-02-21 11:46 Anton Farygin
From: Anton Farygin @ 2005-02-21 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux kernel packages development

FYI.

Я планирую это опакетить в ближайшее время - на смену mini_fo.

Rgds,
Rider

[-- Attachment #2: [Unionfs] Unionfs 1.0.9 --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4580 bytes --]

From: "Charles P. Wright" <cwright@cs.sunysb.edu>
To: unionfs@filesystems.org
Subject: [Unionfs] Unionfs 1.0.9
Date: 18 Feb 2005 17:57:44 -0500

Unionfs is a stackable unification file system, which can appear to
merge the contents of several directories (branches), while keeping
their physical content separate.  Unionfs is useful for unified source
tree management, merged contents of split CD-ROM, merged separate
software package directories, data grids, and more.  Unionfs allows
any mix of read-only and read-write branches, as well as insertion and
deletion of branches anywhere in the fan-out.  To maintain Unix
semantics, Unionfs handles elimination of duplicates, partial-error
conditions, and more.  This release also includes additional
preliminary features that were specifically designed for security
applications, such as snapshotting and sandboxing.

We've just release version 1.0.9, which fixes a bug with hardlinks.
Because of these fixes, we have successfully run apt-get install within
a chrooted Unionfs environment.  We have removed our hacked version of
namei.c and moved the directory reading functions utility functions into
dirhelper.c  This greatly increased the cleanliness of the code.

We also fixed several other bugs that could cause Oopses or other bad
behavior, which are detailed below.

* Unionfs 1.0.9
- Fixed copyup permissions bugs (Anton Farygin)
- NTFS mmap will no longer cause Oops (but it won't do the mmap, as NTFS
  doesn't support mmap).
- Moved directory reading helper routines into dirhelper.c from subr.c
- We no longer require hacked copies of vfs_create and vfs_unlink
- Moved finding and adding filldir_nodes into rdstate.c
- Added a sample RPM spec file, for those who want to package Unionfs
  (Note, we will not distribute source or binary RPMS)
- Fixed unionfs_link to allow linking of files with a source of a readonly
  file system.
- Fixed apt-get on rw/ro branch configuration (related to unionfs_link)
- Modified regression/link.sh to reflect the changes in unionfs_link. It
  now includes tests to make sure linking on a read only filesystem works.i
- Fixed an issue where unionfs_dir_llseek would cause an Oops

We also learned of one new limitation: fcntl F_GETLK, F_SETLK, and other
advisory locking do not work.  This is a bug with our stackable
templates that we plan to address in the next version of Unionfs.

Enjoy,
Charles

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-02-21 11:46 UTC | newest]