Linux console tools development discussion
From: Vladislav Ivanishin <vlad@ispras.ru>
To: Alexey Gladkov <gladkov.alexey@gmail.com>
Cc: kbd@lists.altlinux.org
Subject: Re: [kbd] [Lint][Bug report] src/openvt.c:386: 'pid' may be used uninitialized
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 21:03:49 +0300

Sorry, I didn't get your reply (not sure what the actual reason is, but
it seems as if you've only replied to the list, and I am not subscribed)
so I've just read it today in the archives.

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 09:20:04PM +0300, Vladislav Ivanishin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've found this bug using a static analyzer (slightly improved GCC).
> >
> > Consider variable `pid` in function main from src/openvt.c:
> >
> > src/openvt.c:166:       int opt, pid, i;
> > src/openvt.c:303:       if (direct_exec || ((pid = fork()) == 0)) {
> > src/openvt.c:386:       if (pid < 0)
> > src/openvt.c:393:               waitpid(pid, &retval, 0);
> >
> > If direct_exec is TRUE, then pid doesn't get initialized, but it is used
> > outside the conditional regardless of that.
>
> This is not a bug. If direct_exec is TRUE we will never be on line 386.

Oh, I didn't realize that; my bad, thanks for pointing this out.

The real issue preventing the analyzer (i.e. the compiler) from seeing
this as well is kbd_error lacking the noreturn attribute.

> To make linter happy, I’ll make pid = 0.

So a more proper fix would be adding the attribute in the header file.
It would also make other compiler analyses/optimizations more effective.

--
Vlad