Linux console tools development discussion
From: Alexey Gladkov <gladkov.alexey@gmail.com>
To: kbd@lists.altlinux.org
Subject: Re: [kbd] mapscrn: cannot open map file _8859-15_
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 14:32:06 +0400

25.11.2012 04:53, Raphael Yoshimura wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm having an annoying issue with kbd that I can't seem to resolve:
> When I boot, during the boot screen after GRUB I see an error saying:
> "mapscrn: cannot open map file _8859-15_"
>
> I'm using Mageia 2 Linux and my secondary language is Bulgarian.
>
> This is how my /etc/sysconfig/i18n looked like;
>
> SYSFONTACM=8859-15
>> LANGUAGE=en_US:en
>> LC_ADDRESS=bg_BG
>> LC_COLLATE=en_US
>> LC_NAME=bg_BG
>> LC_NUMERIC=bg_BG
>> LC_MEASUREMENT=bg_BG
>> LC_TIME=en_US
>> LANG=en_US
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION=bg_BG
>> LC_MESSAGES=en_US
>> LC_CTYPE=en_US
>> LC_TELEPHONE=bg_BG
>

> I was having unicode issues aside, so when I enabled UTF-8 from Mageia
> Control Center, the first line disappeared. Now it looks like this.
>
> LANGUAGE=en_US:en
>> LC_ADDRESS=bg_BG
>> LC_COLLATE=en_US
>> LC_NAME=bg_BG
>> LC_NUMERIC=bg_BG
>> LC_MEASUREMENT=bg_BG
>> LC_TIME=en_US
>> LANG=en_US
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION=bg_BG
>> LC_MESSAGES=en_US
>> LC_CTYPE=en_US
>> LC_TELEPHONE=bg_BG
>

> However the error still exists.
>
> One person running Archlinux on initramfs solved his issue this way:
>
> removed the keymap HOOK in the configuration file / etc / mkinitcpio.conf
>> and regenerated the initramfs
>

> However I'm not running Archlinux, I don't have a /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and
> I'm on a ext4 not an initramfs.
>
> Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_2_beta2#initrd

"Mageia 2 will default to dracut as tool for creating initrds (initial
ramdisk, used during boot). We still provide mkinitrd for those that
need that, but will only support it when used with initscripts. Users
of systemd must use dracut."

So for initrd you can use either the mkinitrd or dracut. It depends on
the configuration. So, do you have a systemd ?

You are using dracut if you have a systemd. Here's how to set up the
console in dracut:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/dracut/dracut.html#_i18n

Check out your /etc/vconsole.conf.

--