Linux console tools development discussion
* [kbd] LatGrkCyr fonts
@ 2011-01-18 19:16 Ken Moffat
From: Ken Moffat @ 2011-01-18 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

 I've got a couple of fonts that I'm now calling LatGrkCyr, and I
wonder if there is any interest in including them ?

 These are primarily aimed at people in Europe - current languages
using the latin, greek, and cyrillic alphabets [ greek is monotonic
only ] - 512 glyphs, to fit everything in.

 Available at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/fonts/LatGrkCyr/
(20110117 is current) and also from my own site
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zarniwhoop/consolefonts/tarballs/

 For a long time, I've been using my 'sigma' font - that's very much
a "pick your own set of characters" font, with the "source" bdf
being public domain, and the perl script having a BSD-style license.
But then I wanted a 12x22 font for kms.  Luckily, I found psf-tools
and was at last able to edit psf fonts.

 The 12x22 is derived from iso01-12x22, so it is GPLv2 licensed.
I've made a lot of changes (there is never enough space for accents
etc), so I guess any blame is all mine ;-)

 I've also created a version of the 8x16 font containing the same
glyphs, so that people who don't like building things can still use
it.

 The tarball includes .txt versions of the fonts to assist people
reviewing the contents : the 12x22 .txt file is my master source and
contains some explanatory comments, for the 8x16 the master sources
are in the sigma font tarball.

 What I can't tell is whether the cyrillic or (12x22) greek letter
forms are "good enough" (the 8x16 greek were reviewed in July 2007).
They seem to me to be the right shapes, but I struggle to read these
alphabets so that doesn't really count for much.

 Perhaps I should also mention that the iso02-12x22 font included
with kbd appears to be identical to the iso01-12x22, and has been
since it was first included.  The original site for it had stopped
responding when I looked in August last year - that was a
disappointment, I'd hoped I could take the East European latin forms
from it.

ken [ or, more usually, I sign as 'ĸen' - some people might have
trouble with that first letter ]

* Re: [kbd] LatGrkCyr fonts
@ 2011-01-19 22:55 ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2011-01-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

18.01.2011 22:16, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  I've got a couple of fonts that I'm now calling LatGrkCyr, and I
> wonder if there is any interest in including them ?

Wow! Nice font. I will necessarily add it.

>  What I can't tell is whether the cyrillic or (12x22) greek letter
> forms are "good enough" (the 8x16 greek were reviewed in July 2007).

cyrillic is good enough for me.

May be www.archive.org can help ?

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] LatGrkCyr fonts
@ 2011-01-20  0:30   ` Ken Moffat
From: Ken Moffat @ 2011-01-20  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Gladkov; +Cc: Linux console tools development discussion

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 01:55:10AM +0300, Alexey Gladkov wrote:
> 18.01.2011 22:16, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> >  Perhaps I should also mention that the iso02-12x22 font included
> > with kbd appears to be identical to the iso01-12x22, and has been
> > since it was first included.  The original site for it had stopped
> > responding when I looked in August last year - that was a
> > disappointment, I'd hoped I could take the East European latin forms
> > from it.
>
> May be www.archive.org can help ?

 There was a link on freshmeat pointing to acid.ch.pw.edu.pl but I
can no longer find the link, or anything for iso02-12x22 other than
links to versions of kbd.  Archive.org seems to have nothing for
iso02-12x22, nor for that site, nor for Jacek Lipkowski himself.

ĸen

* Re: [kbd] LatGrkCyr fonts
@ 2011-01-20  1:22     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2011-01-20  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Moffat; +Cc: Linux console tools development discussion

20.01.2011 03:30, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  There was a link on freshmeat pointing to acid.ch.pw.edu.pl but I
> can no longer find the link, or anything for iso02-12x22 other than
> links to versions of kbd.  Archive.org seems to have nothing for
> iso02-12x22, nor for that site, nor for Jacek Lipkowski himself.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://acid.ch.pw.edu.pl

Last update: Mar 13, 2008

--
Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] LatGrkCyr fonts
@ 2011-01-20  1:43     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2011-01-20  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Moffat; +Cc: Linux console tools development discussion

20.01.2011 03:30, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  There was a link on freshmeat pointing to acid.ch.pw.edu.pl but I
> can no longer find the link, or anything for iso02-12x22 other than
> links to versions of kbd.  Archive.org seems to have nothing for
> iso02-12x22, nor for that site, nor for Jacek Lipkowski himself.

The page that you are probably looking for:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050502080709/acid.ch.pw.edu.pl/~sq5bpf/pl_linux/index-en.html

Unfortunately iso02-12x22.tar.gz has not been preserved.

--
Rgrds, legion