Linux console tools development discussion
* [kbd] Plus instead acute accent
@ 2020-05-16 16:20 DGSJ
From: DGSJ @ 2020-05-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 1391 bytes --]

Hello:
I'm working in a customized Linux distro for Raspberry Pi 3 B+, in 64-bit
architecture, with a Raspbrerry kernel, version 5.6.4-v8+.

I'm using to control the terminal kbd-2.2.0, cross-compiled from source,
and Graft as package manager.

I'm having a problem with Spanish acute accents in vowels. If you try to
write an acute accented vowel, for example á, this is what yo see in the
screen:

$> +a

It is to say, the dead key is not working, and moreover, instead of the
acute accent, the plus symbol is displayed.

There are other symptoms of the misconfiguration:
key    ´¨{    displays    +*~
key    `^[    displays    '(circumflex s)º
key    +*     displays    [{
key    }ç     displays    ]}

Fortunately ñ and Ñ work fine ;-), and the rest of the keys are ok.

Here are some details about the console and the keyboard.

- Console.
It is an interactive login shell invoked after boot with agetty, I mean
it is not a GUI console. The framebuffer supports graphics.

Regarding the environmental and console variables:
LANG=es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro
TERM=Linux
FONT=lat0-16

- Keyboard
According to 'kbd_mode' the keyboard is set in Unicode mode (UTF-8), the map
is es ('loadkeys es').

Well, I think I've missed something to make the accents or the deadkeys work.

Any help will be welcomed. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

-------------------------
Daniel Gutiérrez

* Re: [kbd] Plus instead acute accent
@ 2020-05-28 21:34 ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2020-05-28 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 06:20:09PM +0200, DGSJ wrote:
> Hello:
> I'm working in a customized Linux distro for Raspberry Pi 3 B+, in 64-bit
> architecture, with a Raspbrerry kernel, version 5.6.4-v8+.
>
> I'm using to control the terminal kbd-2.2.0, cross-compiled from source,
> and Graft as package manager.
>
> I'm having a problem with Spanish acute accents in vowels. If you try to
> write an acute accented vowel, for example ?, this is what yo see in the
> screen:

Can you tell the keycode of what you pressed ?
You can get it using the showkey utility.

> $> +a
>
> It is to say, the dead key is not working, and moreover, instead of the
> acute accent, the plus symbol is displayed.
>
> There are other symptoms of the misconfiguration:
> key    ??{    displays    +*~
> key    `^[    displays    '(circumflex s)?
> key    +*     displays    [{
> key    }?     displays    ]}
>
> Fortunately ? and ? work fine ;-), and the rest of the keys are ok.
>
> Here are some details about the console and the keyboard.
>
> - Console.
> It is an interactive login shell invoked after boot with agetty, I mean
> it is not a GUI console. The framebuffer supports graphics.
>
> Regarding the environmental and console variables:
> LANG=es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro
> TERM=Linux
> FONT=lat0-16
>
> - Keyboard
> According to 'kbd_mode' the keyboard is set in Unicode mode (UTF-8), the map
> is es ('loadkeys es').

There are at least two es keymaps:

keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map
keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map

which one are you using?

> Well, I think I've missed something to make the accents or the deadkeys work.

However, I do not see deadkeys in both es keymaps.

> Any help will be welcomed. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Rgrds, legion

* Re: [kbd] Plus instead acute accent
@ 2020-05-28 22:06 ` Ken Moffat
From: Ken Moffat @ 2020-05-28 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 06:20:09PM +0200, DGSJ wrote:
> Hello:
> I'm working in a customized Linux distro for Raspberry Pi 3 B+, in 64-bit
> architecture, with a Raspbrerry kernel, version 5.6.4-v8+.
>
> I'm using to control the terminal kbd-2.2.0, cross-compiled from source,
> and Graft as package manager.
>
> I'm having a problem with Spanish acute accents in vowels. If you try to
> write an acute accented vowel, for example ?, this is what yo see in the
> screen:
>
> $> +a

[...]
> Regarding the environmental and console variables:
> LANG=es_ES.ISO-8859-15@euro
> TERM=Linux
> FONT=lat0-16

I had trouble understanding the '?' in your mail - like that
sentence above.  I'm guessing from '+a' that it should be a-acute.
I wonder if perhaps your LANG is the problem ?  Most people use
UTF-8 these days, so although the values for non-ASCII European
letters might be the same, they may use two bytes in UTF-8, instead
of one byte is 8859 variants.

The list mail claimed to be in UTF-8:

So from that a-acute should be á : if that shows up as two
characters for you then the LANG is almost certainly one of the
problems (but obviously doesn't of itself answer Alexey's question
about dead keys).

I forget the details of that font, but another possible problem is
that if a font does not support a particular codepoint it might
display a 'filler' - ideally an inverted-colours question mark, but
sometimes a square or dot or blank space or regular question mark.

ĸen
--
Do you not know that, what you belittle by the name tree is but the
mere four-dimensional analogue of a whole multidimensional universe

* Re: [kbd] Plus instead acute accent
@ 2020-05-30  9:27   ` Daniel G.
From: Daniel G. @ 2020-05-30  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

Hi:
Sorry for top posting, but after after considering and trying your answers
I've found out that the issue is more related with this.

If you try to load de Spanish keymap with:
$ loadkeys es

It takes you "somewhere" with a Spanish misconfigured map that shows the ñ
correctly, but with some issues with the acute accents, which appear, for
example, as +a instead of a-acute. I have no idea of which "default" map
could it be.

But if you put the absolute path to the map, the problem is fixed.
$ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map.gz

I can't tell if it happens with other keymaps, because its hard to guess
with only an Spanish keyboard.

Although it can be a solution, I'm interested in understanding what can be
the problem. Maybe a cross-compilation problem?

Thank you!

--
----------------
Daniel Gutiérrez

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [kbd] Plus instead acute accent
@ 2020-05-30 10:13     ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2020-05-30 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 11:27:08AM +0200, Daniel G. wrote:
> Hi:
> Sorry for top posting, but after after considering and trying your answers
> I've found out that the issue is more related with this.
>
> If you try to load de Spanish keymap with:
> $ loadkeys es
>
> It takes you "somewhere" with a Spanish misconfigured map that shows the ñ
> correctly, but with some issues with the acute accents, which appear, for
> example, as +a instead of a-acute. I have no idea of which "default" map
> could it be.
>
> But if you put the absolute path to the map, the problem is fixed.
> $ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map.gz

Do you have /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz ?
If yes, can you try the following?

$ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz

--
Rgrds, legion

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [kbd] Plus instead acute accent
@ 2020-05-30 12:09       ` Daniel G.
From: Daniel G. @ 2020-05-30 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kbd

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 12:13:09PM +0200, Alexey Gladkov wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 11:27:08AM +0200, Daniel G. wrote:
> > Hi:
> > Sorry for top posting, but after after considering and trying your answers
> > I've found out that the issue is more related with this.
> >
> > If you try to load de Spanish keymap with:
> > $ loadkeys es
> >
> > It takes you "somewhere" with a Spanish misconfigured map that shows the ñ
> > correctly, but with some issues with the acute accents, which appear, for
> > example, as +a instead of a-acute. I have no idea of which "default" map
> > could it be.
> >
> > But if you put the absolute path to the map, the problem is fixed.
> > $ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map.gz
>
> Do you have /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz ?
> If yes, can you try the following?
>
> $ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz

I've tried it. And it loads the incorrect map, I mean, one showing +a instead
of a-cute.

I have just removed that map from the system, and 'loadkeys es' works
properly, loading a correct Spanish map. It seems we have found the
"culprit".

As an immediate solution it is easy to remove /olpc/es.map.gz to make it
work as expected with 'loadkeys es'.

But it could be interesting to know why the default path to the Spanish
keymap goes to /olpc instead of /qwerty.  I've tried to study the code of
loadkeys, but sorry, it is out of my range :-(.

> > I can't tell if it happens with other keymaps, because its hard to guess
> > with only an Spanish keyboard.
> >
> > Although it can be a solution, I'm interested in understanding what can be
> > the problem. Maybe a cross-compilation problem?
> >
> > Thank you!
>

> --
> Rgrds, legion

----------------
Daniel Gutiérrez

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [kbd] Plus instead acute accent
@ 2020-05-30 12:41         ` Alexey Gladkov
From: Alexey Gladkov @ 2020-05-30 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux console tools development discussion

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 02:09:47PM +0200, Daniel G. wrote:
> > > If you try to load de Spanish keymap with:
> > > $ loadkeys es
> > >
> > > It takes you "somewhere" with a Spanish misconfigured map that shows the ñ
> > > correctly, but with some issues with the acute accents, which appear, for
> > > example, as +a instead of a-acute. I have no idea of which "default" map
> > > could it be.
> > >
> > > But if you put the absolute path to the map, the problem is fixed.
> > > $ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/es.map.gz
> >
> > Do you have /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz ?
> > If yes, can you try the following?
> >
> > $ loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/olpc/es.map.gz
>
> I've tried it. And it loads the incorrect map, I mean, one showing +a instead
> of a-cute.

Just as I suspected.

> I have just removed that map from the system, and 'loadkeys es' works
> properly, loading a correct Spanish map. It seems we have found the
> "culprit".
>
> As an immediate solution it is easy to remove /olpc/es.map.gz to make it
> work as expected with 'loadkeys es'.

or you could use:

$ loadkeys qwerty/es

> But it could be interesting to know why the default path to the Spanish
> keymap goes to /olpc instead of /qwerty.  I've tried to study the code of
> loadkeys, but sorry, it is out of my range :-(.

This is because loadkeys recursively searches for keymap in
the /usr/share/keymaps/*/* subdirectories (on your system). Directory
names are sorted alphabetically.

keymaps/i386/azerty
keymaps/i386/bepo
keymaps/i386/carpalx
keymaps/i386/colemak
keymaps/i386/dvorak
keymaps/i386/fgGIod
keymaps/i386/neo
keymaps/i386/olpc
keymaps/i386/qwerty
keymaps/i386/qwertz

as you can see /olpc goes before /qwerty.

--
Rgrds, legion

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [kbd] Plus instead acute accent