Linux console tools development discussion
* Re: [kbd] [Pkg-kbd-devel] loadkeys can't load Czech keyboard
  @ 2016-10-30 13:14 ` Andreas Henriksson
From: Andreas Henriksson @ 2016-10-30 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikulas Patocka; +Cc: Alexey Gladkov, Console utilities maintainers, kbd

Hello Mikulas Patocka.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 12:51:09PM +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> Hi
>
> The loadkeys program on debian sid loads the Czech keyboard incorrectly.

Thanks for notifying us in the Debian camp. Please consider filing
a proper bug report using the reportbug utility.

We'll be freezing Debian for the next stable release soon, so if
you'd like to see some fixes cherry-picked before that I'd be happy
to have bug reports where we can discuss what to cherry-pick.

> The bug is in the upstream package "kbd", I bisected it and it is caused
> by the commit 3fdbff332a6ef88a2447584c47a8616dceb19548 ("ksyms: Global
> syms[] and charsets[] shouldn't be modified"). Prior to this commit, the
> keyboard is loaded correctly.

Have you tried the latest commit[0] to see if it fixes the problem as
discussed recently on this mailing list post[1]?

(Maybe your issue is unrelated to the discussed one, but you're both using
unicode and both references the same commit causing the issue.....)

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson

[0]: http://git.altlinux.org/people/legion/packages/kbd.git?p=kbd.git;a=commitdiff;h=64dfc1442011b3d9d892fd20476efa46fcaa992f
[1]: https://lists.altlinux.org/pipermail/kbd/2016-October/000602.html

* Re: [kbd] [Pkg-kbd-devel] loadkeys can't load Czech keyboard
@ 2016-10-30 18:43   ` Mikulas Patocka
From: Mikulas Patocka @ 2016-10-30 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Henriksson; +Cc: Alexey Gladkov, Console utilities maintainers, kbd

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016, Andreas Henriksson wrote:

> Hello Mikulas Patocka.
>
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 12:51:09PM +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > The loadkeys program on debian sid loads the Czech keyboard incorrectly.
>
> Thanks for notifying us in the Debian camp. Please consider filing
> a proper bug report using the reportbug utility.
>
> We'll be freezing Debian for the next stable release soon, so if
> you'd like to see some fixes cherry-picked before that I'd be happy
> to have bug reports where we can discuss what to cherry-pick.
>

> > The bug is in the upstream package "kbd", I bisected it and it is caused
> > by the commit 3fdbff332a6ef88a2447584c47a8616dceb19548 ("ksyms: Global
> > syms[] and charsets[] shouldn't be modified"). Prior to this commit, the
> > keyboard is loaded correctly.
>
> Have you tried the latest commit[0] to see if it fixes the problem as
> discussed recently on this mailing list post[1]?
>
> (Maybe your issue is unrelated to the discussed one, but you're both using
> unicode and both references the same commit causing the issue.....)
>
> Regards,
> Andreas Henriksson
>
> [0]: http://git.altlinux.org/people/legion/packages/kbd.git?p=kbd.git;a=commitdiff;h=64dfc1442011b3d9d892fd20476efa46fcaa992f
> [1]: https://lists.altlinux.org/pipermail/kbd/2016-October/000602.html

This commit only provides a partial fix - the top row keys work with this
commit, but some of the dead keys for composing characters with acute and
caron produce garbage.

So far, the only possible fix it to revert the package "kbd" to version
1.15.5 (the version 1.15.5 works in Debian Jessie).

Is it possible to revert the package to a version from Jessie if this bug
were not fixed in time?

Mikulas