Hi Alexey, The console-setup package in Debian needs a way to check for the text/graphics mode of the active VT (from a shell script). This can be done with “setfont -v -o /dev/null”, for example, but that isn’t very elegant. Julien Cristau has proposed a small utility (which I’m calling “vt_mode” for now) to report this information in a canonical fashion. I’ve adapted it to kbd; see attachment. Do you think this code is suitable for inclusion? If so, I am going to integrate it into the build system and write a short man page for it, so I can send you a proper patch. I’d like to hear your opinion! All the best, -- Michael Schutte | michi@{uiae.at,debian.org} Innsbruck, Austria | happily accepting encrypted mail OpenPGP: 0x16fb 517b a866 c3f6 8f11 1485 f3e4 122f 1D8C 261A