On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 02:41:31AM +0300, Alexey Tourbin wrote: > On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 02:26:44AM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote: > > On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 12:28:31AM +0300, Alexey Tourbin wrote: > > [...] > > > What you urge to do is to cut down the price even more. But there is > > > clearly something wrong with apt, as it tries to resolve every single > > > dependency upon every startup. And, fortunately, it takes only a few > > > seconds! > > > > It will take twice or trice longer time when _all_ packages with ELF > > files will get their set-versioned dependencies, so I expect apt-get > > startup will eventually be about 10x slower again (compared to 5.1 branch). > > > > apt-rpm indeed calls rpmRangesOverlap() too many times, it's common > > knowledge. Unfortunately, stating this fact isn't sufficient to make > > apt-rpm work faster. > > So what do you think? There's a possibility to change bitv[] to bitmap, > per Kirill's proposal. That mighit yield about, say 30% user time cutdown. 30% is a bit optimistic, according to my measurements. > However, note that apt is not only eager for user time. System time is > being spent with splendor as well. System time takes only about 15% of elapsed time, according to my measurements. > Personally, I like bitv[], and I don't like something like stuff. When performance is the issue, there should be a good rationale to choose the approach that works slower. -- ldv