ALT Linux Team development discussions
* [devel] Fw: [Gabber] gabber2 -- or not.
@ 2002-03-28  6:53 Vyt
From: Vyt @ 2002-03-28  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devel

Hello, All!

Может оказаться интересным.

--
Regards, Vyt
mailto:  vyt@vzljot.ru
JID:     vyt@vzljot.ru

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5034 bytes --]

From: Julian Missig <julian@jabber.org>
To: gabber-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Gabber] gabber2 -- or not.
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:13:45 -0500

Basically, I'm not sure I see why I should bother wasting my time on
gabber2. So, for now, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm not
going to bother.

The GNOME "community" has never been particularly supportive of me, and
when I have even basic difficulties with something in gnome2 no one
bothers to help me (gtk2 developers have always been great, though -- hp
and owen rule! ;) ). I have been fighting for a long time to get status
docklets to work. In fact, with gnome2 they decided that since there's
no easy way to have applet-application type interaction ala gnomeicu for
gnome2, that status docklets are the recommended form. However, they're
still broken in gnome2, and the only people who even pay attention to me
are those who constantly insist it is completely impossible to create a
status docklet without breaking various protocols and having various
race conditions.

Gabber has a nice big TODO, and I posted a message asking for people to
*at least* look at some bugs in the bug list and post comments
confirming or denying the bugs. No one beyond those who were already
helping me has done anything. If you ask for a feature/bug fix, all I
ask is a little help in return, but I still feel alone because no one's
doing it.

I have very little time... with AP exams and work, the time I do give to
Gabber is extremely valuable. I definitely would *like* to play around
with creating a gabber2, but it would be so incredibly time-consuming
and if current trends continue I would get so little help that I'm not
sure it would be worth it.

Thanks to those of you who *have* helped me in the past and continue to
do so today. It's not your fault I'm making this decision... the problem
is that none of you have much free time in which to help me either.

Maybe if there were at least a way to do status docklets in gnome2 and
someone from the gnome2 community started paying attention to this sort
of thing I'd reconsider a little, but those who currently are paying
attention are consistently insisting that status docklets aren't
possible (even though KDE has them and they appear to work (?)).

That said, I'll continue to put in some time for gabber1, so don't
worry, bugs will still be fixed... slowly.

Oh, and don't tell me I should be fixing status docklets in gnome2
myself. I don't know half the X protocol stuff involved and don't have
the time.

Julian
--
email: julian@jabber.org
jabber:julian@jabber.org

* [devel] Re: Fw: [Gabber] gabber2 -- or not.
@ 2002-03-28 21:17 ` Mikhail Zabaluev
From: Mikhail Zabaluev @ 2002-03-28 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devel