ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Flatpak support
@ 2022-01-15 20:48 Lyndon
From: Lyndon @ 2022-01-15 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

Hi there. Just wondering how to add flatpak support to Software as
Software won-t install flatpaks though it shows other flatpaks installed
via the terminal.

Thanks so much.

Regards, Lyndon

* Re: [Comm-en] Flatpak support
@ 2022-01-15 21:53 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-15 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 12:48:24PM -0800, Lyndon wrote:
> Just wondering how to add flatpak support to Software as
> Software won-t install flatpaks though it shows other flatpaks
> installed via the terminal.

I've relayed your question to flatpak maintainer in ALT
but it could be a bit more informative to include some
specifics like "I have ALT <version> with flatpak <ver>,
when trying to install flatpak from <here> through <...>
I get <this> (or nothing is shown, or whatever)".

There's a decent article by an old friend on that matter:
http://egorfine.com/en/articles/priceless-bugreports (English)
http://egorfine.com/ru/articles/effective-bugreports (Russian)
:)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

* Re: [Comm-en] Flatpak support
@ 2022-01-15 22:44   ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-15 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 12:53:20AM +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 12:48:24PM -0800, Lyndon wrote:
> > Just wondering how to add flatpak support to Software as
> > Software won-t install flatpaks though it shows other flatpaks
> > installed via the terminal.
> I've relayed your question to flatpak maintainer in ALT

Our GNOME maintainer replied already, my translation:

---
The guy tells that gnome-software doesn't show flatpaks that
can be installed but only those already installed via console.
It's not this way in sisyphus.  I don't know what's up in p10.

Recommend him to try sisyphus-based regular builds, maybe many
of his problems get cured, including attachments in evolution
installed through flatpak (but why not use distribution's one?)
---

Note that Sisyphus is quite solid for an unstable development
repository but it *can* result in a major PITA or two a year,
in my experience (as in "X broke, need to mess around / fix
or downgrade and hold").  You can try it via LiveCDs though:
http://en.altlinux.org/regular

--

@ 2022-01-16  4:37   ` David
From: David @ 2022-01-16  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

January 15, 2022 4:45 PM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike@altlinux.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 12:53:20AM +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
>
> Our GNOME maintainer replied already, my translation:
>
> ---
> The guy tells that gnome-software doesn't show flatpaks that
> can be installed but only those already installed via console.
> It's not this way in sisyphus. I don't know what's up in p10.
>
> Recommend him to try sisyphus-based regular builds, maybe many
> of his problems get cured, including attachments in evolution
> installed through flatpak (but why not use distribution's one?)
> ---
>
> Note that Sisyphus is quite solid for an unstable development
> repository but it *can* result in a major PITA or two a year,
> in my experience (as in "X broke, need to mess around / fix
> or downgrade and hold"). You can try it via LiveCDs though:
> http://en.altlinux.org/regular

Michael,
Do you think this suggestion would work at fixing the bug I have with p9 GNUStep's Synaptic?  This is the bug that displays the unreadable text I see at the end of the package installation process (that I mentioned in my review).  Or, is p9 too old to work properly with the Sisyphus repositories, without breaking something?

David.

* Re: [Comm-en] Flatpak support
@ 2022-01-16  5:58     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-16  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 04:37:16AM +0000, David wrote:
> Do you think this suggestion would work at fixing the bug
> I have with p9 GNUStep's Synaptic?  This is the bug that
> displays the unreadable text I see at the end of the package
> installation process (that I mentioned in my review).

That annoying one is *still* with us :-/
pinged the bug: http://bugzilla.altlinux.org/33912

> Or, is p9 too old to work properly with the Sisyphus
> repositories, without breaking something?

Any stable platform gets upgraded to the unstable one
through all of the intermediate stable platforms
(e.g. p9 -> p10 -> sisyphus until p11 is around),
so the resulting system runs on a single repo;
just turning on sisyphus repos with p9 system
is a sure recipe for disaster (hopefully breaking
just the package installation as most of those
would yell and warn that's going to remove half
of the system).

Hence the advice to check with Regular LiveCDs,
as that's a big part of the reason we build them:
to be able to "peek" before the plunge (if any).

PS: I've checked that flatpak version in sisyphus
and p10 is exactly the same: 1.12.2-alt2.1;
*maybe* p9's 1.6.3 behaved quite differently,
then again you can check that while playin'round
with http://en.altlinux.org/starterkits LiveCDs
(they're built from the same mkimage-profiles
as regular builds but the package base differs
along with the desktop wallpaper, obviously).

--

@ 2022-01-16  9:44     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-01-16  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 01:44:58AM +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 12:53:20AM +0300, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 12:48:24PM -0800, Lyndon wrote:
> > > Just wondering how to add flatpak support to Software as
> > > Software won-t install flatpaks though it shows other flatpaks
> > > installed via the terminal.
> > I've relayed your question to flatpak maintainer in ALT
> Our GNOME maintainer replied already

He followed up with: http://bugzilla.altlinux.org/41489 --
basically, run "control fusermount public" as root before
running gnome-software to install flatpaks.

See also http://en.altlinux.org/control for explanation
on this convenient utility.