ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] How do you think of ALT Linux?
@ 2014-03-17  3:54 Franklin Wang
From: Franklin Wang @ 2014-03-17  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

Hi all,

I submited the mailing list about 2 days ago, but never recieve a
message up to now. What's up?

* Re: [Comm-en] How do you think of ALT Linux?
@ 2014-03-17 10:39 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2014-03-17 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:54:35AM +0800, Franklin Wang wrote:
> I submited the mailing list about 2 days ago, but never recieve
> a message up to now. What's up?

It's pretty quiet here most of the time:
http://lists.altlinux.org/pipermail/community-en/

Sometimes ALT gets noticed in the world yet again and there's
some discussion but it's clearly not self-sustained; I'd probably
better add a word on that near regular builds announce (or wherever
you might have seen the link here).  Most of our audience use to
speak (or at least read) Russian, so that's where all the buzz is.

There are several dozen people lurking on this list if we believe
mailman, maybe some of the accounts will bounce and get
unsubscrubed due to this query/reply.

Welcome anyways :-)  If you have a question, just go ahead.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

* Re: [Comm-en] How do you think of ALT Linux?
@ 2014-03-20  1:44   ` Franklin Wang
From: Franklin Wang @ 2014-03-20  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike, ALT Linux users (in English only)

Thanks for your reply. Well, could you tell me which distros popular in
Russia? I may begin to learn Russian this year, and have joined the
Russian list.

@ 2014-03-20  7:24     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2014-03-20  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 09:44:49AM +0800, Franklin Wang wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Well, could you tell me which distros
> popular in Russia?

I think Mint+Debian+Ubuntu, CentOS+Fedora, Mageia+*Mandriva+ROSA,
openSUSE, ALT Linux, Gentoo, Slackware more or less describes
what common people tend to use here very roughly in the order
my gut feeling suggests.

> I may begin to learn Russian this year, and have joined
> the Russian list.

Welcome!  I know several more people who chose to (some of them
already know Russian better than I know e.g. French or German);
maybe you find this useful: http://www.russianlessons.net/
(I tend to recommend that site to those interested in learning
Russian at newsanna youtube channel).

There's also at least one guy @altlinux who speaks Chinese
and studies the culture.

Please try to keep the list use to technical matters though :)