ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: vadim@mail.cytspb.rssi.ru
To: community-en@altlinux.org
Subject: [Comm-en] [JT]  international community site
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:42:08 +0400

From:           	community-en-request@altlinux.org
Subject:        	Community-en Digest, Vol 3, Issue 3
To:             	community-en@altlinux.org
Send reply to:  	community-en@altlinux.org
Date sent:      	Thu,  7 Aug 2003 12:00:43 +0400 (MSD)

>  international community site

Well, this WILL require to run the forum he... he...
Maybe then I will stop thinkin' about WTF I do use that distro (I mean ALT) for sooo long
time...

Well, I must explain myself.

I hate all the problems of different encodings in the mail messages, plus that everything is
mixed in the mail... And receiving a lot of emails is not fun. My mailbox is limited in size. I
don't like receiving a thousands of messages when I don't need them.  So I have
unsubsribed from the russian community.

Folks, I am utmostly sure the thing  that annoys me in ALT Linux *most* - is the
inexistence of Internet forum on it...  And this should be easily repairable - just set up the
server... And install the IPB on it. Even me, a completely newbie managed to start up that
server after a couple of weeks - now our Institute has that forum on the intranet site,
running on my machine. Old Pentium-150, plus ALT Linux + Apache+ IPB... :)

Guys, why you don't even TRY to do it??? For a couple of months - to see if it will be
good? Are you sure that I (and many other folks) won't pay, say, a buck or two a month to
be able to post on it? Getting support on LRN forum is not fun, after all...
You need the moderators and you don't want to moderate? Well, I may try to do it.
You don't 'want to look the whole forum to see what's new? IPB does have the "New
messages" filter.

Of course, mailing-lists are the habit, I know. But it's the hackers' habit, you know.  And
you're selling (or are trying to sell) the distros for common users.

WBR, A Linux newbie,
Vadim Alexeenko, Institute of Cytology RAS