ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Using RPM cache on a second ALT-Linux system
@ 2022-08-02  3:07 Chorus Grove
From: Chorus Grove @ 2022-08-02  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

I have limited bandwidth and I would like to know how to use the RPM
cache, which I have on one PC with ALT Linux, on another PC with the
same version of ALT Linux installed.  Can anyone give me some advice on
how to do this, if possible?

This way, if I upgrade one PC, I can then use those packages on the
other PC without having to download them a second time.

* Re: [Comm-en] Using RPM cache on a second ALT-Linux system
@ 2022-08-02  6:35 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-08-02  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 09:07:13PM -0600, Chorus Grove wrote:
> I have limited bandwidth and I would like to know how to use
> the RPM cache, which I have on one PC with ALT Linux, on
> another PC with the same version of ALT Linux installed.
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this, if possible?

You can just rsync /var/cache/apt/archives/ between the systems
-- if you don't "--delete" then these will even sum up.

This can be mediated with a flashdive or portable HDD too.

> This way, if I upgrade one PC, I can then use those packages on
> the other PC without having to download them a second time.

If both PCs are on the same network, running caching proxy
for apt might be preferable -- here's a page in Russian:

http://altlinux.org/Apt/NginxAsCache

here's Yandex translation:

http://translated.turbopages.org/proxy_u/ru-en.en.b4a1abe2-62e8c573-5b942cb1-74722d776562/https/www.altlinux.org/Apt/NginxAsCache

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info

* Re: [Comm-en] Using RPM cache on a second ALT-Linux system
@ 2022-08-02 16:25   ` Chorus Grove
From: Chorus Grove @ 2022-08-02 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

On 8/2/22 12:35 AM, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> You can just rsync /var/cache/apt/archives/ between the systems
> -- if you don't "--delete" then these will even sum up.
>
> This can be mediated with a flashdive or portable HDD too.

Thanks so much, Michael!  So, I've copied over the contents of the
archives from one machine to the other.  Now, here's a silly question:
how do I tell Synaptic to use those files to do an upgrade?  When I
start up Syanptic, it doesn't seem to acknowledge that the 500MB of RPMs
are there.  If I try something like "add downloaded packages", Synaptic
tells me that this hasn't been implemented for RPMs, patches welcome.

Do I need to use the command line and RPMI or something else to do the
upgrade?

* Re: [Comm-en] Using RPM cache on a second ALT-Linux system
@ 2022-08-02 16:46     ` Chorus Grove
From: Chorus Grove @ 2022-08-02 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

On 8/2/22 10:25 AM, Chorus Grove wrote:
> Thanks so much, Michael!  So, I've copied over the contents of the
> archives from one machine to the other.  Now, here's a silly question:
> how do I tell Synaptic to use those files to do an upgrade?  When I
> start up Syanptic, it doesn't seem to acknowledge that the 500MB of
> RPMs are there.  If I try something like "add downloaded packages",
> Synaptic tells me that this hasn't been implemented for RPMs, patches
> welcome.
>
> Do I need to use the command line and RPMI or something else to do the
> upgrade?

Oh, never mind.  I figured it out.  Once I connected the second PC to
the Internet and allowed Synaptic to update the repository package list,
I saw that it acknowledged that the rpms were already downloaded and
just wanted to upgrade.  So, all is good, I think. Thanks!

--
~~ The Internet as simple as possible ~~
~~ https://www.chorusgrove.site ~~

* Re: [Comm-en] Using RPM cache on a second ALT-Linux system
@ 2022-08-02 18:23       ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2022-08-02 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 10:46:05AM -0600, Chorus Grove wrote:
> > Now, here's a silly question: how do I tell Synaptic to use
> > those files to do an upgrade?
> Oh, never mind.  I figured it out.  Once I connected the second PC to
> the Internet and allowed Synaptic to update the repository package list,
> I saw that it acknowledged that the rpms were already downloaded and
> just wanted to upgrade.  So, all is good, I think. Thanks!

It's not silly; I was in hurry and didn't recognize that you can
save several dozen megabytes of traffic more if you synchronize
the whole /var/cache/apt/ and /var/lib/apt/ onto that machine.

Flat rate 100+ MBps here in Russia is sort of too gorgeous
though I do know how 2400 baud feels with per-minute phone too...

--

@ 2022-08-02 21:00     ` Chorus Grove
From: Chorus Grove @ 2022-08-02 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux

On 8/2/22 10:25 AM, Chorus Grove wrote:
> On 8/2/22 12:35 AM, Michael Shigorin wrote:
> It's not silly; I was in hurry and didn't recognize that you can
> save several dozen megabytes of traffic more if you synchronize
> the whole /var/cache/apt/ and /var/lib/apt/ onto that machine.

Ah, /var/lib/apt/ I didn't know about that one.  Thank you very much!
It worked perfectly and will save me a great deal of bandwidth with new
installs and upgrades later on.

I have to use my smart phone to connect to the Internet on our PCs, and
the cell phone contract I have only provides so many GBs per month,
without charging me more.  So, every 100MB I can save myself from having
to download (or re-download in this case) is worth the extra effort.

Thanks again!