ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.org>
To: community-en@lists.altlinux.org
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] Translate ALT Linux to Danish
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 22:53:27 +0300

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 12:32:21PM +0100, Carl Andersen wrote:
> I do not know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm trying
> it anyway.

It is :-)

> I would like to translate All Linux into Danish. I do not know
> the Russian language, but is it possible to translate it from
> English to Danish.  In the last ten years I have translated
> several Linux distributions and WordPress plugins.

Glad to hear, I used to translate software and docs too!
(as well as ANNA-News' frontline footage)

> I can use Poedit: https://poedit.net/ Transifex:
> https://www.transifex.com/ and Weblate: https://weblate.org/

Poedit might be just the right one here.

The primary source of translateable content for ALT-specific things
(mostly installer and configuration modules) is alterator-l10n:
http://git.altlinux.org/gears/a/alterator-l10n.git -- clone the
repo with:

  git clone git://git.altlinux.org/gears/a/alterator-l10n.git

have a look at the modules present:

  cd alterator-l10n/alterator-l10n/pot
  ls

get into position:

  cd ../po
  mkdir -p dk
  cd dk

Then we need to select the first module to translate;
the most common (but also most hefty and boring) are:

alterator (the base infrastructure itself)
alterator-vm (disk partitioning, filesystem handling)
alterator-pkg (package group selection)
alterator-net-eth (ethernet/wifi interfaces)

Further, here's a list of alterator packages included into
ALT's most "homy" distribution, http://getalt.org/simply:

alterator *
alterator-auth *
alterator-datetime *
alterator-lookout *
alterator-luks
alterator-multiseat
alterator-net-eth *
alterator-net-openvpn
alterator-net-pppoe
alterator-net-pptp
alterator-notes *
alterator-packages
alterator-pkg *
alterator-postinstall *
alterator-printers
alterator-root *
alterator-services *
alterator-sslkey
alterator-standalone *
alterator-sysconfig *
alterator-update-kernel
alterator-users *
alterator-vm *
alterator-x11
alterator-xkb *

I've excluded *-functions which have no translated strings
and alterator-l10 itself; and marked those more important
packages with an asterisk.

Copy a template file of choice into the target directory:

  cp -a ../../pot/alterator.pot .

...and it's ready for translation.

If you're familiar with git[1], just commit the result when
another .po file seems done, and push the result somewhere
(github, gitlab, basically any git hosting including one's
own if present) or send the commits via email (starting with
`git format-patch -1` or alike); probably to me personally
to avoid cluttering community-en@, or if more people get
interested, we can create a separate translators' ML and
head there (I'd invite our translation team girls then).

If not, well just send me the .po files, will take care
of getting them into alterator-l10 "as is".

PS: used to communicate with Kasper Skårhøj of TYPO3 fame :)

[1] http://tomayko.com/blog/2008/the-thing-about-git

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info