ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: Michael Shigorin <mike@osdn.org.ua>
To: community-en@lists.altlinux.org
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] No provision to shut down Terminal?
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:30:20 +0300

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:47:26PM -0400, JD Hupp wrote:
> It seems that there is no software provison for shutting down a
> terminal.  KDE menu > Log Out > End Current Session returns the
> terminal to the login screen, and there the Menu button > Close
> Connection merely loops back to the login.

Yes, since technically speaking that login screen runs on the
server side and client side only draws an image of it.

We did understand the need to fix this but the project that gave
this development a decent boost got raided and then we plunged
into HPC area along with colleagues.  Not an excuse, of course.

> The only way to shut down the terminal then is to press the
> power button.

Rather yes, but it's backed by proper shutdown sequence
(albeit if one doesn't use local storage that's completely
unneccessary, just pulling the plug is technically fine
but generally a bad habit/example).

> it would be more comforting to have program controls to do this.

Of course.  I hope that there will be possibility to work on
ALTSP during 7.0 cycle (the corresponding branch is expected this
autumn) but can't promise on that.

> (There is another distro where Shutdown from that first menu
> returns the terminal to the login, but then clicking
> Preferences or Options offers a Shutdown option.  That too
> seems annoying and messy -- you have to command Shutdown
> twice.)

(definitely)

> Am I missing something?

Your description is pretty accurate.