ALT Linux users (in English only)
* Re: [Comm-en] Latest distro with integrated LTSP?
  @ 2012-08-01 15:00 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2012-08-01 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 10:26:22AM -0400, JD Hupp wrote:
> What is the latest stable release with integrated LTSP?
> (I have 4.0 Terminal but that seems dated now.)

There's 5.1 based version but xorg upstream drivers for
older video hardware have degraded considerably; so *if*
you're basically OK with 4.0's software (probably firefox
might need to be installed in /opt, it's very much trouble
to build a recent version that would actually use distro's
libraries of that age to considerable extent), then 4.0 is
actually recommended.

If curious, here are the experimental snapshots based on
icewm and newer build technology (ltsp-icewm-*.iso):
http://ftp.linux.kiev.ua/pub/Linux/ALT/people/mike/iso/mkimage-profiles/

I can also build e.g. TDE based image but from quick tests
it looks like the "ancient" videodrivers continued to gather
regressions ever since the move to KMS.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>

* Re: [Comm-en] Latest distro with integrated LTSP?
  @ 2012-08-02  8:15     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2012-08-02  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only); +Cc: ltsp-server

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 06:09:47PM -0400, JD Hupp wrote:
> Where can I download the 5.1 terminal distro?  At the torrent
> D/L page at any rate (http://torrent.altlinux.ru), I only see
> 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 School Terminal.

Get 5.0.2.

These are actually based on p5/5.1 branch rather than 5.0 branch
-- an echo of an unfortunate breakage in naming when 5.0/branch
was abandoned (after having thrown newer xorg in, which caused
more regressions than fixes at the late stage).

Just in case, there's experimental NX session support built into
School Terminal 5.0.2 -- it needs one-time manual setup and
annoys one with ssh host key fingerprint each client boot though
(I tried to trick nxclient's use of ssh into non-strict host key
checking mode but a quick hack wasn't enough; some interest might
just help, and some help would be interesting either).

You can also find some builds here:
http://ftp.linux.kiev.ua/pub/Linux/ALT/people/mike/iso/terminal/
-- probably altlinux-5.0-20110423-terminal-i586-ru-install-cd.iso
should be more or less the "generic" one.

I'm willing to rebuild an image using the current branch state
(that includes Firefox 10, for example) if it helps you,
and would be grateful for any kind of feedback.

The more interesting thing would be to hammer on the upcoming 7.0
series (the aforementioned "icewm" builds are based on unstable
branch of ALT Linux) but that might be too much to ask for. :)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>