ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] configuring php5 support on Alt Server 4.0
@ 2010-03-03  1:06 Virtual Sky
From: Virtual Sky @ 2010-03-03  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

Okay, I'm stuck.  I've apt-get'ed the apache PHP5 module from Sisyphus
and I see "apache-mod_php5" and "php5-cli" in the Alterator System
Objects list (I set them both to "public" state).  However, when I
navigate to a directory on my server that should run the index.php
script, all I see is the folder directory.  Obviously, the php module is
not intercepting the .php script.

Now, I've done what I know what to do (on other servers), like adding a
line to httpd.conf to load the php5 module, but I can't seem to get it
working.

Any tips anyone can give me on getting php5 supported on my ALT 4.0
server?  What am I missing?

David.

* Re: [Comm-en] configuring php5 support on Alt Server 4.0
@ 2010-03-03 11:31 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2010-03-03 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 07:06:47PM -0600, Virtual Sky wrote:
> Okay, I'm stuck.  I've apt-get'ed the apache PHP5 module from Sisyphus

Ohnoes!  You'd better either stick with 4.0/branch for Server 4.0,
or install apache-mod_php5 from 4.1/branch and immediately point
apt back to 4.0/branch (I've used this a few times when php-5.2.5
was working better for me than 5.2.2) -- OR move the whole system
to Sisyphus, which I shouldn't recommend before probably summer.

> and I see "apache-mod_php5" and "php5-cli" in the Alterator
> System Objects list (I set them both to "public" state).
> However, when I navigate to a directory on my server that
> should run the index.php script, all I see is the folder
> directory.  Obviously, the php module is not intercepting the
> .php script.

Which directory?  By default /var/www/html is configured as a web
root BUT that default location isn't exactly good for your own
content since it might interfere with packaged one and things
like package upgrades overwriting index.html did happen before
(even if rarely).  So it's recommended to set up a separate
virtual sk... er, server even for default virtual (g)host.

> Now, I've done what I know what to do (on other servers), like
> adding a line to httpd.conf to load the php5 module, but I
> can't seem to get it working.

Should get auto-added, see also
/etc/httpd/conf/addon-modules.d/apache-mod_php5.conf

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>

* Re: [Comm-en] configuring php5 support on Alt Server 4.0
@ 2010-03-03 12:24   ` Virtual Sky
From: Virtual Sky @ 2010-03-03 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only), shigorin

Thanks, Michael!

I'm wondering... since this server box I'm setting up is a new one,
perhaps I'd be better just to start using the latest Server 5.0 (Ark).
Am I correct in assuming that little issues like this are improved in 5.0?

I wasn't aware of the issue with populating the root directory with
content.  Thankfully I haven't experienced  this overwriting of files
during updates on other 4.0 boxes I've set-up.  But, it's certainly nice
to be aware of it now.  Thanks again!

David.

@ 2010-03-03 14:03     ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2010-03-03 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALT Linux users (in English only)

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 06:24:37AM -0600, Virtual Sky wrote:
> I'm wondering... since this server box I'm setting up is a new one,
> perhaps I'd be better just to start using the latest Server 5.0 (Ark).

Depends.

> Am I correct in assuming that little issues like this are improved in 5.0?

It's geared towards intranet server, not internet.
Server 4.0 was rather a toolbox equally (in)adequate
for both internet and intranet, depending on particular
sysadmin.

We talked on implementation of web hosting server distribution
(mostly on lower level bits and pieces) but so far there's none.

So to summarize, I stay with 4.0 on my web hosts and hope to find
some time to work on those bits&pieces in the next release which
is so far planned this autumn.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>