ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: Michael Shigorin <mike@osdn.org.ua>
To: "ALT Linux users (in English only)" <community-en@lists.altlinux.org>
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] configuring php5 support on Alt Server 4.0
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:31:20 +0200

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 07:06:47PM -0600, Virtual Sky wrote:
> Okay, I'm stuck.  I've apt-get'ed the apache PHP5 module from Sisyphus

Ohnoes!  You'd better either stick with 4.0/branch for Server 4.0,
or install apache-mod_php5 from 4.1/branch and immediately point
apt back to 4.0/branch (I've used this a few times when php-5.2.5
was working better for me than 5.2.2) -- OR move the whole system
to Sisyphus, which I shouldn't recommend before probably summer.

> and I see "apache-mod_php5" and "php5-cli" in the Alterator
> System Objects list (I set them both to "public" state).
> However, when I navigate to a directory on my server that
> should run the index.php script, all I see is the folder
> directory.  Obviously, the php module is not intercepting the
> .php script.

Which directory?  By default /var/www/html is configured as a web
root BUT that default location isn't exactly good for your own
content since it might interfere with packaged one and things
like package upgrades overwriting index.html did happen before
(even if rarely).  So it's recommended to set up a separate
virtual sk... er, server even for default virtual (g)host.

> Now, I've done what I know what to do (on other servers), like
> adding a line to httpd.conf to load the php5 module, but I
> can't seem to get it working.

Should get auto-added, see also
/etc/httpd/conf/addon-modules.d/apache-mod_php5.conf

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>