ALT Linux users (in English only)
* [Comm-en] Configuring wireless on eeePC with ALT 4.1 Desktop
@ 2009-02-14 17:55 Virtual Sky Solutions
From: Virtual Sky Solutions @ 2009-02-14 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en

I have been trying to get ALT Desktop 4.1 working with my eeePC's WiFi, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

I've tried installin different kernel modules, but no matter what I try, ALT does not recognize that I have a wireless
ethernet adapter.

Other than this minor annoyance, ALT 4.1 runs very nicely and I'm happy to be using this Linux distribution once again.

Are there any instructions someone could give me that explains how I can get WiFi working on my eeePC 701 after a
default install of ALT Linux 4.1 Desktop?

Thanks!
David.

* Re: [Comm-en] Configuring wireless on eeePC with ALT 4.1 Desktop
@ 2009-02-14 19:08 ` Michael Shigorin
From: Michael Shigorin @ 2009-02-14 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: community-en; +Cc: Kharitonov A. Dmitry, Denis Kirienko, Konstantin A. Lepikhov

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:55:40AM -0600, Virtual Sky Solutions wrote:
> I have been trying to get ALT Desktop 4.1 working with my
> eeePC's WiFi, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

Try removing kernel-modules-madwifi-std-def and installing
kernel-modules-madwifi-ar5007-std-def -- it's documented at
"Desktop 4.1 notes" in Russian here:

http://www.altlinux.org/%D0%97%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D0%BF%D0%BE_Desktop_4.1

You might also want to try this alternative kernel:

http://www.unsafe.ru/lakostis/RPMS/ALTLinux/kernel-2.6.28/repo/i586/RPMS.hasher/

echo "rpm http://www.unsafe.ru/lakostis/RPMS/ALTLinux/kernel-2.6.28/repo i586 hasher" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get install update-kernel
update-kernel -t lks-wks

Also CC'ing some folks which were spotted hacking on EeePC.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>