ALT Linux users (in English only)
From: Michael Shigorin <mike@osdn.org.ua>
To: community-en@altlinux.org
Subject: Re: [Comm-en] Sisyphus PGP signatures
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:05:42 +0300

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 08:42:33AM -0400, Aaron McDonald wrote:
> I don't think there are many folks on this mailing list since
> it has almost zero activity

Exactly.  In fact, I've missed Master 2.4 release on freshmeat
(due to some silly brown paper bag bugs which didn't really help)
but hope that upcoming 3.0 series will be useful, even if quite
different.

> but I am a big Alt Linux fan (because I think Sisyphus is
> wonderful)

Well right now xorg is being revamped quite heavily both
upstream and in Sisyphus, you might want to switch to branch-3.0
(available at ftp://ftp.altlinux.ru/pub/beta/) until the dust
settles.

> and I'd like to continue to have access to help when I run into
> issues.

Just post :-)  There are several team members here AFAIK.

PS: maybe it's worth understanding what's interesting in Sisyphus
for people not reading Russian... technically, I could understand
at least some moments but community available is usually even
more important: there's no perfect technology, and the downsides
of some particular one are usually compensated by upsides of the
community around.

For one, I'd tell that some of technologies available in Sisyphus
aren't unique by themselves but _are_ unique among free software.

E.g. recent look at strengths and weaknesses of Trustix resulted
in a thought that it's quite the counterpart -- decent marketing,
but quite ancient (on Sisyphus scale, it's 2 to 4 years ago)
technology in a bunch of crucial places like package build
process.

But it's more important to developers, especially on value-added
projects...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>